A Final Goodbye to the 41st President

All living presidents at George HW Bush's funeral

via Flickr

George H.W. Bush was born on June 12, 1924, in Milton, Massachusetts, under the guidance of his loving father and mother and four siblings. During his teens in the late 1930s and 1940s, he became a huge baseball fan and became a coach in the late 1940s. Bush also fought in WWII and survived to tell the tale and avoided two deaths at a young age from adventures he won’t forget. After his campaign against Ronald Reagan and became president, Bush passed the American with Disabilities Act (ADA) to help disabled children and adults against discrimination everywhere around U.S. One of his sons, George W. Bush, later became to become a president as well. Sadly, the courageous hero died on November 30, 2018.

George W. Bush, the former president solemnly stated, “To his very last days, Dad’s life was instructive. As he aged, he taught us how to grow old with dignity, humor, and kindness – and, when the Good Lord finally called, how to meet Him with courage and with joy in the promise of what lies ahead.”

Following W. Bush, Bush’s best pal, Alan Simpson stated, “He never lost his sense of humor. Humor is the universal solvent against the abrasive elements of life. That’s what humor is. He never hated anyone. He knew what his mother and my mother always knew: hatred corrodes the container it’s carried…

“His epitaph, perhaps just a single letter, the letter “L” for loyalty. It coursed through his blood. Loyalty to his country, loyalty to his family, loyalty to his friends, loyalty to the institutions of government and always, always, always a friend to his friends.”

The eulogies and speeches brought soft laughter from George H.W. Bush’s loved ones. George W. Bush said, “At 90, George H. W. Bush parachuted out of an aircraft and landed on the grounds of St. Ann’s by the Sea in Kennebunkport, Maine – the church where his mom was married and where he’d worshipped often. Mother liked to say he chose the location just in case the chute didn’t open.”

The Trumps and Obamas shook hands abruptly, but Hillary Clinton didn’t bother to greet the Trumps during the funeral. Donald Trump was cold against the Bush family. He stated once before how “I like George Bush very much and support him and always will,”  “But I disagree with him when he talks of a kinder, gentler America. I think if this country gets any kinder or gentler, it’s literally going to cease to exist.” Even with the cold arrival, Trump still acknowledged everyone and the funeral was resolved.

George H.W. Bush lays to rest, for a new life awaiting him.

Jonathan Y., Reporter

Jonathan Y. is an 8th grader at Kraemer Middle School. His favorite subject is math because of its simplicity with more complex versions. While his favorite...