Filed under Opinion

Can music be mood altering?

Music

via Pixabay

Music

Can music alter moods? Music is much more powerful than many people think. Music can make people feel happy, sad, pumped up, or calmed, just depending on the song. Different genres of music can also change the mood of people and make them feel a certain way. Rock, hard rock, punk, and indie can often times pump people up and make them feel better.

Why does music make people feel certain ways? When people listen to music many different parts of the brain are stimulated associated with movement, attention, and memory, making one feel happy or sad. Listening to music we enjoy also stimulates the release of dopamine, which is produced during a pleasurable situation. Dopamine can also be released when gambling, playing video games, eating, listening to music, playing a sport. Dopamine is a chemical that makes it feel rewarded and happy.

Dopamine, Serotonin, Oxytocin, and Endorphins are all responsible for happiness, and many different situations can trigger the release of these. The “quartet of happiness” works to make people happy. For example, when a friend tells a joke or says something funny, the brain releases dopamine and creates a joyful feeling. This also can occur when listening to music; the brain releases dopamine, making people smile and happy. Music people like and enjoy can trigger the release of dopamine and other chemicals. Music plays a large part in triggering happiness and is one of the main reasons for happiness.  Also, certain instruments can make you feel happy, sad, or even anger. Researchers have proven that certain songs and different genres of music can affect your mood and possibly health.

Can music cause depression? The song itself can’t cause depression, but it can make you feel like you are in a state of depression and even experience a depressed mood. Music also has an effect on people’s’ mood, memory, well being, and performance. Many people play music when they do homework or are working at their job, because it helps them focus, and makes them happier. However, music can also cause people to lose focus and not be able to think.

Various studies have proven people who listen to music while doing repetitive tasks often perform better and make fewer errors. So, yes, music can definitely affect your mood.

Elise M., Reporter

Elise is a loud, crazy, and weird 7th grader who just likes to make people laugh. She likes to play soccer with her team. She plays the piano, violin,...