Filed under Opinion

Artificial Sweeteners: Ban or Can

Starting from the 1950s, artificial sweeteners are known for being an alternative to sugar, but many have asked; How harmful are artificial sweeteners? Scientists have researched and experimented for the truth of artificial sweeteners and have found multiple answers to this issue.

Artificial sweeteners were substitutes for sugar, but it has been related to obesity in the past. Susan Swithers, a neuroscientist at Purdue University in Indiana, found that the use of artificial sweeteners corresponded with the rate of obesity. She states, “Artificial sweeteners break a basic type of learned relationship between sweet tastes and the arrival of calories and sugars in the digestive system. People who routinely use artificial sweeteners show responses that are dramatically different from those who do not.” These responses include kidney damage, headaches, migraines, mood disorders, and so much more.

Some of the most hazardous sweeteners, such as aspartame, sucralose, and acesulfame potassium, should be banned for many reasons. Aspartame is known for impairing memory performance and can cause new-borns to gain obesity and metabolic syndromes if their mother has eaten aspartame for some time. Sucralose is one of the sweetest chemicals, almost 600 times sweeter than sugar. Studies show that this can cause a toxic compound if cooked. Acesulfame potassium, also known as acesulfame K, can cause autism, nausea, and problems in kidney function. The banning of these dangerous chemicals can save many from despairs of health problems.

Non-caloric sweeteners cause cognitive distortions because they tend to make people overeat, as they expect them to be safer than sugar. This results in obesity and type 2 diabetes, but that’s not all. Artificial sweeteners are everywhere. They range from chewing gums to toothpaste to children’s gummy vitamins. These cause an even greater risk for these consequences. The ban on artificial sweeteners will cause people to recognize their own actions and control their habit of eating sugar.

Sugar, in many minds, is dangerous and unhealthy. However, the U.S. Department of Agriculture states that eating around 10 teaspoons of sugar a day is able to keep a stable, healthy body, an equivalent of a 16-ounce bottle of soda. Unfortunately, many Americans satisfy their crave for sugar by eating about 30 to 40 teaspoons of sugar a day and goes out of the safe zone for the average healthy diet. This is the main reason why many consider sugar a detrimental substance to eat, which is why many advert their ways of sugar into the ways of the chemicals.

Luckily, the Food and Drug Administration is certain that artificial sweeteners cannot cause cancer and is still working to resolve this issue to this date. FDA approves 5 types of sugar alternatives, but can still cause many health problems. In conclusion, artificial sweeteners are very harmful if consumed in heavy amounts and can lead you to incorrect opinions about these chemicals. Artificial sweeteners should be banned for mistaking the people into eating too much and cause consequences.

Jonathan Y., Reporter

Jonathan Y. is an 8th grader at Kraemer Middle School. His favorite subject is math because of its simplicity with more complex versions. While his favorite...