The Legacy of George H.W. Bush

George H.W. Bush
The 41st President

via Defense.gov

George H.W. Bush The 41st President

On November 30, 2018, America’s 41st president, George H.W. Bush, passed away. This deeply affected his family members: two siblings, five children, 17 grandchildren, and 8 great-grandchildren. The whole family was devastated when George Bush Junior told them that their father, grandfather, and great-grandfather had passed away earlier that day. George H.W. Bush lived a very full life and had many many accomplishments throughout the 94 years of his life not only being a president and vice president.

His very first worldwide accomplishment was becoming the 43rd Vice President for the United States of America for Ronald Reagan, the 40th US president. After Ronald Reagan finished his two terms as president, George H.W. Bush was chosen to be the 41st president of the USA. He was elected to serve as the President of the United States for one term, the years 1989 through 1993. When President Bush was elected, the Cold War was still going on, but, luckily, in 1991, the Cold War ended and things could go back to how they were before the war started. In 1990, the Persian Gulf War began, and President Bush and his administrative team was very active in doing whatever they could to help the situation. They were active enough to stop the war after only months, helping everyone’s situation. When his term was finished, in 1993, he left the White House with his wife Barbara to fly home in Houston, Texas.

Before all of the presidential business, he was inclined to be in the army, so as soon as he turned 18, he was enlisted in the army. When he came back from active duty, he married his sweetheart, Barbara and they got married. When the war ended, he enrolled into Yale and graduated college in 1948 with a degree in economics. After graduation, George and his family moved to Houston, Texas. George worked for multiple oil companies before starting his own called Bush-Overbey Oil Development Company.

George H.W. Bush’s very first move into politics was when he ran for Senate, he lost but got elected into the House of Representatives. In 1971, Bush was defeated for the spot of Senate, but this time, President Nixon noticed and appointed George the Ambassador to the United Nations. In 1980, Bush was chosen to be Ronald Reagan’s Vice President for both of the terms that Reagan was the president. In 1988, Bush began his presidential campaign using his famous “Read My Lips: No New Taxes”. He was elected as President of the U.S. and stayed for only one term, but he helped the U.S. a lot. For example, in 1990, he established the Americans with Disabilities Act to stop the discrimination against people with disabilities. During the 1992 election, Bush lost to Bill Clinton due to the rise in taxes and the bad economy.

Thanks to George H.W. Bush, the United States of America is better, and the death of Mr. Bush is mourned by everyone.

Lauren N., Reporter

Lauren Nam is a 7th grade gate student at Kraemer Middle school who enjoys all of her classes, including newspaper and spanish. She decided to join newspaper...