Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald

Crimes of Grindewald

K. Smith

Crimes of Grindewald

Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald was released on November 26, 2018.  The movie is related to the Harry Potter series and the sequel to Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them. The character that the title is named for is Gellert Grindelwald, played by Johnny Depp, who starred in The Pirates of the Caribbean. The main character of Fantastic Beasts is Newt Scamander, who plays a role in The Crimes of Grindelwald with Albus Dumbledore, played by Jude Law. There are many crucial characters that played in both Fantastic Beasts and Crimes of Grindelwald, some of which are not mentioned in the Harry Potter series. Many actors and actresses who played a role in Fantastic Beasts also play a role in Crimes of Grindelwald.

Although 87% of Google users thought that this was a good movie, Rotten Tomatoes only rates it 39%. The movie is PG-13, so a mature audience is preferred in the movie theatre. The movie is long at two hours and thirteen minutes. Kraemer student Jessica C. watched the movie with her family and thought the movie was very interesting. She says that “It kept you wanting to know what would happen next” and that there was a lot of action and suspense. One thing that she did not like, however, was that the movie was not explained clearly so the storyline was confusing and choppy. Jessica also thought that the movie didn’t end how it should have. She means that the film ended in a cliffhanger. Yeri P. says that she thinks the movie was more of a way to show Grindelwald’s backstory. Another KMS student, Kaitlyn W. watched the trailer and thought the movie looked good but she didn’t really understand what was supposed to be happening. Lots of Kraemer students that have watched The Crimes of Grindelwald think that the movie could have been better but was still good in the sense that they wanted to keep watching.

The movie is set in the past, or before any of the Harry Potter books take place. Gellert Grindelwald is trying to raise only pure-blood wizards and witches for an evil scheme. Pure-bloods do not have muggle, or human blood, in them. He wanted to take over all non-magical beings because they were not superior. Newt Scamander was the former student of Albus Dumbledore and is enlisted to help Albus defeat Gellert. Although muggles pose as a threat to wizards and witches because their secret might get out, life for them would be so much less amazing and very different if everyone knew that they were witches or wizards. They are both very unaware of the danger that they are about to face. Wizards and witches have to choose between right and wrong, life and death. There are plot twists and many aspects that make the movie worth sitting two hours to watch.

Mia R., Editor

Mia R. is a seventh grader who attends Kraemer Middle School. She loves to read and play golf whenever she has free time. She loves to write, so her number...