Anchorage 7.2 Magnitude Earthquake

Road damaged by Earthquake

via Nature

Road damaged by Earthquake

A powerful 7.2 earthquake rattled Point MacKenzie, Alaska, at 8:29 a.m. local time November 30, and triggered a tsunami warning; there was no tsunami, however. The quake rocked buildings and shattered roads, sending people running into streets. Point MacKenzie is 7 miles north of Alaska’s largest city, Anchorage, with a population of about 300,000.

People ran from offices and took cover under desks. A video recently posted on Facebook by former Governor Sarah Palin shows the damage done to her parents’ house. Glasses had been hurled out of cupboards and onto the floor. Plates had shattered; cupboards had been thrown open and damaged by the shaking. A large area of the road near the Ted Stevens Anchorage International Airport collapsed, marooning a car on a large island of pavement.  

Several cars smashed into each other at a major intersection in Wasilla, 52 miles from Anchorage. During the shaking, Anchorage Police Chief Justin Doll said he had been told parts of the Glenn Highway had “completely disappeared.”

As damaging as a 7.2 earthquake already was, there was a 5.7 aftershock 6 minutes later that caused even more destruction. Since then, there have been 2,000 aftershocks, all of 2.5 magnitude or more. So far, there have been no reported deaths; however, many Anchorage schools will close for at least a week due to the damage. One of the aftershocks had been reported in Fairbanks, 336 miles from Point MacKenzie, Alaska. Over 48,000 customers have been reported without power from all over Point MacKenzie and Anchorage.

Pictures have been posted on social media of the tragedies. A photo posted by Josh Bierma showed the car trapped in the middle of a collapsing highway; a post from Chase showed how a ceiling in a local store had come crashing down, along with shelves, and food. President Donald Trump took to Twitter to say some kind words to the people affected by the earthquake, saying “To the Great people of Alaska. You have been hit hard by a ‘big one.’ Please follow the directions of the highly trained professionals who are there to help you. Your Federal Government will spare no expense. God Bless you ALL!”

A report of a man named Brandon Slaton has also shown up on reports from CBS News. Slaton had just moved to Kenai, Alaska, (which is 157 miles from Anchorage) with his ˝wife, from Arizona. Slaton was home alone soaking in the bath when the giant quake struck. Slaton said the quake had created a powerful back-and-forth movement, and before he knew it, he had been tossed out of the tub. “It was anarchy. There’s no pictures left on the wall, there’s no power, there’s no fish tank left. Everything that’s not tied down is broke,” Slaton said. He also said the area was eerily quiet. His children, 11 and 16, had been evacuated from school.

Elise M., Reporter

Elise is a loud, crazy, and weird 7th grader who just likes to make people laugh. She likes to play soccer with her team. She plays the piano, violin,...