Filed under Sports

Are the Clippers Legit Contenders?

Los Angeles Clippers

via bgmsportstrax.com

Los Angeles Clippers

One of the biggest surprises in the 2018-2019 NBA seasons came from the Los Angeles Clippers. They have become the first seed in the tough western conference, even though they do not have any star players. Although they are playing well, the question of can they last until the playoffs remain.

The Clippers are led in scoring by Tobias Harris, who is playing like a borderline star player. Tobias is a 26-year-old veteran who has been in the league for eight years. He has been averaging 21.5 points, 8.7 rebounds, and has been shooting on 52.5 percent shooting. However, Tobias is not alone. Danilo Gallinari has been playing very well alongside Harris. Gallinari is known as an offensive machine and has been shooting very well as he has been making threes at 45.8 percent. He has also been making 96 percent of his free throws. His high percentage makes him hard to guard because fouling him will only lead to free points for the Clippers. Veteran Lou Williams has also been a vital part of the success that the Clippers have been experiencing. Even though he is playing from the bench, he has been averaging 17.8 points, 4.4 assists, and 2.5 rebounds in around 26 minutes of actions. He is the current sixth man of the year and has certainly been playing like his title.

Clippers keep on winning games because they have a bunch of good players. Even though none of them are stars, they are all able to play very well. This is where they shine. The Clippers can still play basketball at a high level even if their top three players are resting on the bench. This is unique because other teams do not have a bench that can play well even without their star players. Teams such as the Charlotte Hornets, play very bad without their star player, Kemba. This is because the team’s bench is not able to play well against the other team. However, the Clippers bench consists of solid players that could start in other NBA teams. For example, the Clippers have two good bigs in Montrezl Harrell and Boban Marjanovic, who are both coming off the bench. They also have two great veteran guards in Patrick Beverly and Avery Bradley. The Clippers also have many other players who have yet to fully develop just like their rookie, Shai. Overall, the Clippers have a solid bench of players and a trio that can lead the Clippers to wins.

The question of Clippers being legit contenders remains. The Clippers are a solid team that is playing well. They have a bunch of good players and have proven that they can win against tough teams. As long as the Clippers play at the level they are playing at now, they have a real chance for making the playoffs.

William S., Editor

William Song is an eighth grader who attends Kraemer Middle School. This year is his second year in Newspaper and he is excited to work for the Cub Reporter...