Filed under Sports

Wayne Gretzky

Wayne Gretzky in early years

via Sportingz

Wayne Gretzky in early years

Wayne Gretzky is a Canadian hockey player born on January 26, 1961, in Brantford, Ontario, Canada. Wayne is considered by many to be one of the best, if not the best, player in history. When Gretzky was young, he spent most of his time on ice honing on his skills as a hockey player. Because of his practicing, he usually played in games with much bigger kids, but they were no competition for him. In Gretzky’s final year of peewee hockey, Wayne scored an impressive 378 goals. When Wayne was a teen, Gretzky started to rise in popularity and was selected third in the 1977 Ontario Major Junior Hockey League Midget draft. During the 1978 World Junior Championships in Quebec City, Gretzky’s future position as an NHL star was furthered as Wayne played for his home team and led the tournament in scoring.

After a while, Gretzky wanted to become a professional hockey player, but because of age restrictions, Wayne couldn’t join the NHL, so he joined Indianapolis Racers of the fledgling World Hockey Association in the fall of 1978. Shortly after Wayne joined, the franchise closed its doors. Around one year later, Gretzky entered his first NHL season in which he destroyed his competition. Wayne had racked up fifty-one goals and 86 assists and was well on his way to winning the Hart Memorial Trophy which recognizes the most valuable player. Gretzky was also the very first player to get the award in their first year. With him on their team, the Oilers won as Stanley Cup champions in the years 1984, 1985, 1987 and 1988. Wayne also started to break many records like in 1982 he broke the 200-point barrier for the first time and he set a record by scoring 92 goals and 120 assists. Because of his amazing records, Wayne quickly became a hockey star, and many hockey fans adored him. He was so adored that he was nicknamed “The Great One,” Wayne had dolls in the toy aisles, and in 1983, Canada’s government issued a Wayne Gretzky dollar coin. Even with all of this praise, he didn’t brag at all, and he stayed humble which helped his image even more.

After Wayne retired, Gretzky was introduced into the Hockey Hall of Fame, and he continued to stay in contact with the league. While he was Canada’s Men Olympic hockey team’s executive director, he was able to end the losing streak, and they won a gold medal. After retiring from working at the Olympics, Gretzky became the head coach of the Phoenix Coyotes, but Wayne couldn’t lead the team to the playoffs. After retiring from being a coach, he is currently working in the restaurant and wine business and is living with his family in California.

Bryan W., Reporter

Bryan W. is the kind of person that loves playing video games and reading. He lives with his mother, father, sister, and grandma. When he goes to school,...