Smithsonian Museum of American History

Smithsonian+Air+and+Space+Museum+

Smithsonian Museum of American History

Smithsonian Air and Space Museum

Smithsonian Air and Space Museum

https://www.flickr.com/photos/ddebold/7474243212

Smithsonian Air and Space Museum

Smithsonian Air and Space Museum

The Smithsonian Museum of American History was founded in Washington DC, in the year 1964. The museum offers many American treasures and features many exhibits that showcase the past and present soils of America’s past. It is a great place for children and adults, with admission being free. Visiting hours are from 10:00 AM to 5:30 PM. The museum is open every day except for December 25.

Along with all the exhibits, this museum offers exciting stores and excellent cafes/restaurants, to fit all needs of a visiting group. The Smithsonian also offers shopping as well. Some of the stores include the Main Museum Store, Mall Museum Store, and the Price of Freedom store. They are all located in various places around the museum.

The exhibits offered are endless and consist of cherished valuables. One of the exhibits is the Women in the Great War. This exhibit explains how women took part in a great war effort in WWI. Women served overseas and in the United States, partaking in civilian relief organizations. Some women heard the nation’s call of duty and took up a position in the USM, or the United States Military. Uniforms on display at this exhibit show the varied roles and brave acts women did while serving, spreading from combat engineers to medical personnel, to military privates.

Along with history, the museum offers technology and movie making history, too. Some exhibits include props from much-loved plays, ranging all the way back to 1939. Dorothy’s red shoes are on exhibit, the original pair that the actor used all the way back when the film was first released. Many more exhibits offer lots of filmmaking achievements, and how the industry changed from all the way back to now.

Another exhibit shows the importance of religion in American culture, and how our nation grew and continues to grow based on that starting point. They have early American artifacts representing the various religions that were practiced at that time. Some of these religions include the Roman Catholics, Protestants, Judaism, Mormonism, Islam, and in fact Native American and African practices. Religious artifacts include Thomas Jefferson’s The Life and Morals of Jesus the Nazareth. It was also known as “The Jefferson Bible.” Along with that, the founder of the Massachusetts Bay Colony, John Winthrop, has his communion cup displayed there. John Carroll, the first Roman Catholic bishop and also the founder of well known Georgetown University, shows the chalice first used by him.

In conclusion, the Smithsonian Museum of American History is a very cost friendly place ranging in great artifacts that help visitors remember the United States’s past history and all the hardships and accomplishments the nation has gone through. If someone ever visits the District of Columbia, make sure to tell them to stop by the Museum and look into all its treasures.

Elio A., Reporter

Elio is a 7th grader at Kraemer Middle School. He finished 6th grade at Van Buren Elementary. He enjoys middle school so far and his favorite subjects...