Thousand Oaks Shooting

The 12 victims of the Thousand Oaks Schooting

via CNN

On Wednesday, November 8th, marine veteran Ian David Long opened fire inside the crowded Borderline Bar and Grill in Thousand Oaks, California. 12 were killed. Police first received a call of shots fired around 11:20 PM. Ian shot the guard outside of the bar and forced his way in. A young woman working at a counter behind the door was also shot. 2-3 minutes later, police sergeant Ron Helus and a Highway Patrol Officer arrived at the scene. Helus was struck by a bullet while entering the door and the Highway Patrol Officer pulled him out of the line of fire and waited for more officers to arrive. Sergeant Ron Helus, who was set to retire next year later died at the hospital to his wounds. Panic ensued inside the bar as people ran for cover and escaped through broken windows. It is estimated that hundreds of people were inside the bar. Six off-duties officers were also inside the bar during the shooting.

The gunman, Ian David Long was a 28-year-old marine veteran. He served from 2008 to 2013. He used a short-barrel shotgun and a .45 caliber handgun which was purchased legally but had an extended magazine. Ian presumably died from a self-inflicted wound. In April, deputies went to Long’s home after a disturbance call. Long was acting a little irrationally and a mental health specialist talked to him and later cleared him. Ian Long may have been suffering from PTSD, but the mental health specialist determined that Long was not a threat to himself or those around him and should not be taken to a mental hospital.

While not much is known about the victims, it is believed that students from California Lutheran University and Pepperdine University were at the bar. We do know that one of the victims of the Borderline shooting was a survivor of the Las Vegas Strip Shooting that killed 58 that occurred over a year ago.

Borderline Bar and Grill is Ventura County’s largest country dance hall and venue, covering 2,500 square feet. Borderline is 70 miles northwest of Kraemer Middle School. The city in which Borderline Bar is located, Thousand Oaks is known as one of the safest cities in America.

This shooting happened just weeks after a deadly synagogue shooting and only months after a shooting at Parkland High School killed 17. Donald Trump has tweeted his sympathies to the victims of this shooting.

Jason M., Co-Editor in Chief

Jason M. is currently an 8th grader at Kraemer Middle School and is taking newspaper, library aid, and ASB as his electives. He hopes to attend Valencia...