Kraemer Does Halloween in Style

Halloween fun!

A. Putnam and K. Smith

Halloween fun!

Halloween is a holiday that is enjoyed by people of all ages.  The holiday in its current form, dressing up, trick or treating, and giving out candy, has evolved a great deal over time.

The tradition of Halloween goes back many centuries and has gone through many changes to make it the holiday that is currently enjoyed by so many ghosts, goblins, and ghouls. The word “Halloween” was popularized in 1785 in a poem by Scottish poet Robert Burns.  The term Halloween is actually two words that through time have been combined into one.  Hallow, refers to a holy person(or saint), and “een” is a contraction of “eve” (which means the evening before). In other words, Halloween is just the night before All Saints’ Day, which is a day dedicated to celebrating the dearly departed.

As mentioned before, Halloween has been celebrated in one form or another for centuries.  Some of the earliest celebrations were done by the Celts in Ireland, Scotland and the Isle of Man, and was called Samhain.  According to Celtic mythology, Samhain was a mystical time when spirits and the souls of the dead returned to our world. People made offerings of food to the dead in order to appease them.  In Mexico, the Day of the Dead (All Saint’s Day) has been celebrated for centuries as well. Its earliest beginnings can be found in Aztec festivals that celebrate the death of their ancestors.

The modern-day tradition of trick-or-treating is a combination of many different traditions.  Costumes date back to the ancient Celts dressed up as evil spirits to confuse demons who wandered around at this time of year.  In medieval England, children would beg for soul cakes on Halloween. In return for the cake, they would pray for people’s souls.  Additionally, people in medieval England would participate in mummering – dressing in disguises and visiting other homes in the village while dancing, playing music and doing tricks.  Irish and Scottish immigrants brought these traditions with them to America, but modern-day trick or treating did not catch on until the 1920s.