Filed under Features, Showcase

Will the UK Vote Again on Brexit?

Brexit
Brexit

Brexit

via Pixabay

via Pixabay

Brexit

Should the UK revote on Brexit?  As of now, Britain is set to leave the European Union on March 29, 2019.  While many are still on board with the idea, a growing number of politicians and residents in the UK are trying to convince others to vote against Brexit for a number of reasons.  The real question is, can stayers for the EU grow big enough to make the government rethink Brexit?

Brexit is defined as Britain’s decision to split from EU, mostly because of economic issues, the rise of nationalism, and angry voters that feel that the government is taking too many things into their own hands.  Two years ago, in January 2016, a referendum with a turnout of 71.8% determined that Britain wanted to leave 51.9% to 48.1%. Although it was avery close vote, the government decided to leave the EU, despite strong opposition from both N. Ireland and Scotland.  As the actual Brexit day comes closer, slowed amount of trade, the poorer economy of Britain, confusion over the Ireland border, and lack of unique plans to replace the EU’s start becoming more apparent. More people are actually experiencing in their day-to-day lives what Brexit will mean for the economy and the law system.  

Many politicians who oppose Brexit are focused on trying to convince England and Wales to think about what Brexit will mean for the UK.  Already, most feel that they didn’t know what Brexit would actually mean for their country, and a growing number of residents and politicians want a revote.  However, don’t think everyone wants to join the EU again. Many people are still firm in their decision to leave the EU, although according to a Eurobarometer survey, only 35 percent of Britons still want to leave.  Will the government allow a second survey, though? It depends- in short, the Conservatives and the Liberals (the two main parties), and the UK Independent Party are against a revote, while the Liberal Democrats and Scottish National party are for staying with the EU.  

The current prime minister, Theresa May (Conservative Party), used to be against Brexit before the 2016 referendum but has changed her mind after that.  Her “Chequers Plan” between leavers and stayers has created an awkward middle ground that most leavers and stayers are not happy with. Not even the EU is happy with the Chequers plan.  However, May has still stayed with the plan because she thinks it is the best plan for EU and Britain’s economy, as well as the border between the UK and Ireland.

The fact that the two main parties both agree on Brexit does mean a revote will be near impossible.  However, the Labour Party may not agree with the Conservative Party’s plan in the hopes that they would do better.  This may go on in a three-sided war between the two parties and the EU until there is a deal, no deal, or the countries approve a new revised plan.

All of this complicated and confusing mess seems so unnecessary, and with most of the population against Brexit, why won’t the government just listen to the people?  One thing is for sure though, whatever happens will be a struggle between the EU, the two parties, Parliament, Theresa May, and the voters. Only time will tell what will happen with the revote and Brexit.

Ocie M., Reporter

Ocie Mitchell is a 7th grader currently at Kraemer Middle School.  He chose the online newspaper elective to improve his writing and to learn more about...