Filed under Showcase, Sports

Rafael Nadal: Number One

Rafael Nadal becomes number one in tennis

via VOA News

via VOA News

Rafael Nadal is currently the number one tennis player in men’s singles by the Association of Tennis Professionals and has held this rank for a maximum of 56 weeks for a total of 195 weeks. Known as the “King of Clay” because of his skill clay tennis courts Rafael is a six-foot-one Spanish tennis player born on June 3, 1986, in Manacor, Mallorca, and currently lives there.

Rafael became a professional tennis player in 2001 and has a net worth of 160 dollars as of June 27, 2018. When Rafael was three years old, he started playing tennis as his uncle, Toni Nadal, a former professional tennis player, saw potential in him. When Rafael was eight, he won a regional tennis championship for kids under twelve years old. This convinced Uncle Toni of Nadal’s potential. This then leads to his uncle to teach Rafael to play left-handed to give an advantage on the court even though he wrote with his right hand. Playing left-handed gave Rafael an advantage as there is a chance the person who plays left hand will strike their right-handed opponent’s backhand. This will eventually get the best of their opponent. When Rafael was only 12, he won the Spanish and European tennis titles in his age group and became professional when Nadal was 15.

Soon after beginning his professional career, he made it into the top 50 of the world. Later, in 2004, the United States’ defeat from Spain in the Grand Slam was partly caused by Rafael. He then became the youngest player to min a singles match for the winning country at 18 years old.

Nadal quickly rose to the top players on the Association of Tennis Professionals tour. He rivaled Roger Federer, previous world number one tennis player. Setting the record for a male teenage player by registering 11 tournament victories. The year after, Nadal won five more titles on the ATP tour, reaching his first final on grass in Wimbledon before losing to Roger Federer. The rivalry between Nadal and Federer continued to 2007 when Nadal won a record-breaking 81 matches in a row before losing to Federer on May 20 in the finals in the ATP Masters Series in Hamburg, Germany. Nadal recovered enough to win a third title in Roland Garros before losing to Federer in a five-set final lasting 3 hours and 45 minutes. Finally. Nadal was able to overpower Federer to win his fourth straight tournament title in the French Open. He also has the possibility of having more titles than any other player if he wins the French Open. Rafael Nadal has become one of the most well-known people in tennis in today’s sports society.

Darrius H., Reporter

Darrius H. is currently a seventh grader at Kraemer Middle School. He is currently taking Newspaper and Orchestra as electives and his favorite classes...