Filed under Sports

How Can Snow Affect a Football Game?

First snow 2018

First snow 2018

via sbnation.com

via sbnation.com

First snow 2018

Almost all sports games are played outside on a field with paint on the ground to know where the game lines are. Now imagine if there were snow everywhere on America’s most popular sport, football. Football is a sport which the player would have to run and not get tagged to the opponent’s end zone. Once the player gets a touchdown, worth 6 points, the player can have an opportunity to score another point through the field goal. Each team has 53 players for offense, defense, and a special team that takes turns playing. After four quarters of 14-minute plays, that’s when the game ends to determine the winning team.

The grassy field, every American football player knows that the player plays on it. Now imagine that the field was different, the football players would have to change cleats because their shoes were designed for the grass only. The weather condition, on the other hand, is a natural thing that can’t be stopped will gently glide down to the ground. Football gear isn’t used in the cold and instead used on a sunny day where the day is warm. The weather condition can make the player slower by just doing a simple experiment by just walking in the snow with just any shoe at all. The weather condition will make the player slower because the player would have to move the player legs with more force to get it out of the snow when running. Then the good news is that snow can break the player’s fall and have him not get hurt as much.

Though it is rare to have snow in football, it can especially happen during December and January. The weather is cold, and the players can’t wear much because it can affect their running and catching. The snow can make them lose a lot of speed so the challenge of getting to the other side will be harder judging by getting to one side to another and the speed lost. There have been incidents where players would slip because of the snow and traction.

There are American football shoes that are designed to be played in the snow. All snowshoes that are used in football have spikes on them to get a grip when running. Cold weather is also another big problem. In football, wearing long sleeves are not allowed, and if it were, it would be easier blocking someone because the player could grab onto the sleeve. Sleeveless football players for some reason can make the player look tougher and not messing around with.

Andrew N., Reporter

Andrew N. is a seventh grader at Kraemer Middle School. Andrew finished his final year as an elementary school student at Golden Elementary. His two electives...