Singer Spotlight-Camila Cabello

Camila Cabello being interviewed by MTV International in December of 2017

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:171207_Camila_Cabello_for_MTV_International.png

Born on March 3rd, 1997, to the name of Karla Camila Cabello Estrabao, in Cojímar, Havana, Cuba, she is the daughter of Alejandro Cabello and Sinuhe Estrabao. Her father is Mexican and her mother is Cuban, and both lived in Cuba. At the age of six, Cabello and her family moved to Miami, Florida. Her younger sister Sofia was born almost a decade after Camila in Florida. In Miami, she attended Miami Palmetto High School but left in 9th grade to pursue a career in singing. She later went back to school to earn her high school diploma.

When Cabello was fifteen years old, she asked her parents to drive her all the way to Greensboro, North Carolina, from Miami, Florida, to audition for the second season of The X-Factor (U.S.).  She almost didn’t make the cut because of not enough spots to audition. To her surprise, she saw Simon Cowell, who is the show’s creator,  and asked him if she could sing. He said yes, and later on, in the show, she ended up getting four yeses. She was put into a girl group known as Fifth Harmony. After four and a half years with the band, she left to pursue a solo career. Since leaving, her career has skyrocketed.

Only being twenty-one, Cabello has many achievements. In 2015, her first duet with Canadian singer Shawn Mendes called I Know What You Did Last Summer, was 20 in the US and 18 in Canada and was certified platinum by the Recording Industry Association of America.  The first song released from her first album Camila, called “Havana”, went 5x platinum. The single was at number one on the Billboard Hot 100 for a while and was popular in early 2018 till now. Her first album Camila was number one on the Billboard 200 and has been in or around there for a long time. Cabello continues to do well with her music and her hard work has paid off.

Although Cabello isn’t fond of sharing her personal life with the media, it was said that she had begun a relationship with British dating coach Matthew Hussey.  Cabello revealed in an interview that she was indeed dating someone. Cabello and Hussey were spotted in early 2018 in Cabos San Lucas together and were being speculated by fans and the media that they were together. Eventually, they confirmed the relationship. They are currently still together and going strong.

Along with being a big name in Hollywood, she is also friends with other stars as well. One person she is best friends with is Taylor Swift. During her 2018 tour of her album Reputation, Cabello was the supporting act along with Charlie XCX. She even gushes over how much of a good friend Taylor Swift is to her and that she is glad she is best friends with her. Along with Taylor Swift, a good friend of Cabello is Shawn Mendes. The two worked on a song called, “I Know What You Did Last Summer,” which went platinum. The two continue to be shining stars on red carpets together and even share a love for Harry Potter.

Overall, Camila Cabello is a talented individual who is touching the lives of many people around the world. She is loved by many people because of how appreciative of her fans she is, her cringe but still funny jokes, and of course her amazing vocals. If Camila Cabello continues to work hard, she will be rich and even more famous, as she is only just beginning her solo career.

Jacqueline C., Editor

Jacqueline C. is a 7th grader currently attending Kraemer Middle School. She loves to watch and play sports. Some of her favorite sports include lacrosse,...