Filed under Features

Disneyland Galaxy’s Edge

Disneyland Galaxy’s Edge

Star Wars Galaxy's Edge

Star Wars Galaxy's Edge

via Wikipedia

Star Wars Galaxy's Edge

via Wikipedia

via Wikipedia

Star Wars Galaxy's Edge

In the summer of 2019, Disneyland Anaheim and Disneyland Orlando, are both expected to open a Star Wars themed land called Galaxy’s Edge. Disneyland is already preparing for the massive crowds and Galaxy’s Edge is expected to sell out immediately  

The name of the village at Galaxy’s Edge is Black Spire Outpost located on the planet Batuu. It is a remote outpost near the edge of the galaxy, hence the name Galaxy’s Edge. It used to be on a popular trading route in the sub-lightspeed trading routes, but is now a remote location for traders, adventurers, and smugglers. Galaxy’s Edge will take up 14 acres, the largest single land ever built in Disneyland, Anaheim. To make room for Galaxy’s Edge, the Circle D horse stables had to be demolished and relocated. Other demolished exhibits are Big Thunder Ranch, Big Thunder Ranch Barbeque, Big Thunder Ranch Petting Zoo, and Big Thunder Ranch Jamboree.

The tallest point in Galaxy’ Edge is 130 feet tall and it is part of a 200,000 square feet hand carved rock spire. The spires are supposed to resemble petrified remains of an ancient forest. Galaxy’s Edge will also be the first exhibit in Disneyland to sell alcohol. It will include Oga’s Cantina which sells Star Wars themed beverages including blue milk. Galaxy’s Edge will also include a 100 feet in diameter model of the Millennium Falcon that visitors can enter.

In a 13-minute bonus feature of the blue-ray edition of Solo, it was revealed that inside the Falcon, riders will be tasked with a mission from a space pirate named Hondo Ohnaka from the “Clone Wars” and the TV show “Star Wars Rebels”. If you manage to complete the task successfully, you will receive some galactic coins. If you don’t, then Hondo will send a bounty hunter after you. The outcome will affect you throughout your day in Galaxy’s Edge and bounty hunters might come looking for you. A 6 person crew will be assigned to the task there will be pilots, gunners, and engineers. Another ride in Galaxy’s Edge is “Battle Escape”. It will take riders through a battle between the Resistance and the First Order. Battle Escape is built inside of a massive building, and according to blueprints, it takes up nearly one-fourth of Galaxy Edge.

All in all, there is a lot to be excited about in Disneyland’s, Galaxy Edge opening in 2019. Star Wars fans can expect a one of a kind, authentic experience of what it would be like to live in the Star Wars universe.

Jason M., Co-Editor in Chief

Jason M. is currently an 8th grader at Kraemer Middle School and is taking newspaper, library aid, and ASB as his electives. He hopes to attend Valencia...