Filed under Sports

Which NBA Teams Have the Best Young Cores?

NBA Logo

via https://viterbicareers.usc.edu/the-annual-nba-hackathon-is-almost-here/nba-logo/

NBA Logo

The NBA is the world’s leading basketball organization, where the best basketball players come to play and compete with one another. There are many things that NBA teams desire; star players, championships, and wins. These three things are obtainable only by having a good young core of players. Young cores are made up of players under the age of 26, who have potential to become All-Star players. There are plenty of good young cores in the NBA, but which ones are the best?

Coming in at third place, the Los Angeles Lakers have a strong young core, which consists of Brandon Ingram, Kyle Kuzma, Josh Hart, Moe Wagner, and Lonzo Ball. These players are still very young with three of them being sophomores this season, one being a rookie, and one being a player in his third year. Though none of them have quite reached the All-Star level, they all have shown flashes of becoming stars. Brandon Ingram has the physical gifts and skills to become a star and has frequently been compared to two-times Finals MVP Kevin Durant. Lonzo Ball and Josh Hart have both shown their skills in the NBA Summer League, both earning Summer League MVPs and putting up solid numbers as rookies. Kuzma has also displayed his potential during the 2017-2018 season by putting up 16.1 points. The new rookie, Moe Wagner looks promising as well based on his performance in the Summer League. Overall, the Lakers look solid with their mixture of young players and experienced veterans.

Celtics take second place with a young core full of talent. The Celtics have Jayson Tatum, Jaylen Brown, Terry Rozier, and Marcus Smart. They are in their second, third, fourth, and fifth season respectively. What makes this young core unique is that they advanced to the Conference Finals without Kyrie Irving and Gordon Hayward, the Celtics’ best players. In the playoffs last season, Jaylen Brown and Jayson Tatum both carried the Celtics, putting up double-digit points each game. Terry Rozier went off in the playoffs as well, he put up substantial double-digit numbers and was a solid option for the offense. Celtics also had very good defense thanks to Marcus Smart. He was a defensive beast and displayed his tough, impeccable defense during the playoffs, preventing even the best scorers from getting easy shots. The Celtics young core have already proved themselves to be one of the best in the league through winning in the playoffs.

The 76ers have the best young team in the NBA. For a long time, the 76ers were one of the worst teams in the NBA. However, they were able to get many top picks and make themselves into real contenders for the Championships. Joel Embiid, Ben Simmons, Dario Saric, and Markelle Fultz are the young core of the 76ers. Embiid is an All-Star player and has proved himself to be one of the best centers in the league. Simmons recently got the ROY award for being the best rookie in the 2017-2018 season. He averaged around sixteen points, eight assists, and eight rebounds per game. Dario has shown that he is a great big man, putting up solid numbers for the 76ers. Fultz was the 76ers first round pick for the 2017-2018 season. Unfortunately, he was injured during the first few games of the season and was out for the rest of the season. He is back now, and NBA fans are excited to see what he can do.

Overall, there are many NBA teams with bright futures and potential stars. As the young cores of NBA teams develop, games between teams are sure to be more and more fun to watch. It is unknown which young players will be stars, but fans are happy to see what they will do in the future.

William S., Editor

William Song is an eighth grader who attends Kraemer Middle School. This year is his second year in Newspaper and he is excited to work for the Cub Reporter...