Filed under Food & Travel, Showcase

Places to Visit in Taipei

Taipei+101
Taipei 101

Taipei 101

wikimedia.org

wikimedia.org

Taipei 101

Taiwan is an island west of China, with a population of 23 million people. The capital, Taipei, is home to the 5th tallest building, Taipei 101. Though there are many more places to visit other than its capital, Taipei.

Taipei 101 has other attractions than the observatory deck on the 88th floor. There are shops in the basement and Ding Tai Fung, a restaurant that serves xiao long bao, which translates to steamed buns in English. To the side of the skyscraper, there’s a shopping mall with many name brands. Some include brands such as Adidas, Apple, and Louis Vuitton. On the 5th level, tickets can be purchased to visit the observatory deck on the 88th and 91st floor. The elevator is one of the fastest in the world, taking 40 seconds from the ground floor up. Walk to the center of the skyscraper, where a 3 story tall dampers that absorb shock when a typhoon strikes.

Want to take a great picture of Taipei 101? The hike to Elephant mountain that is located just south of Taipei 101 and great for amazing views. The hike is about 1,450 meters long (0.9 miles) from the beginning to the end of the trail. Make sure to bring a bottle of water to prevent thirst. Near the top, there are large rocks that people can climb onto to take pictures on. At the viewpoint, pictures of Taipei 101 look lovely during sunset, or at night, where the lights on the skyscraper illuminate.

The Shilin Night Market is one of the largest markets in Taiwan serving some of the tastiest fried chicken, aiyu (a jelly beverage made from dried figs), and includes different types of carnival games. In order to visit this market, take the red metro line directly to the stop Jiantan, then take exit 1 to arrive in the night market. Walk 0.2 miles north to an indoor market where Taiwanese food such as rice noodles, minced pork rice, and drink boba milk tea are served. Shop at the night market for apparel, electronics, and many other kinds of strange knick-knacks.

Ximending is in a district near the Tamsui River and includes iconic shops such as Adidas, Nike, and Eslite Bookstores. By taking the green or blue line to Ximen station and take exit 6 these attractions can be reached. There is an  H&M store, but even more special, across the street, is a red building, also known as the Red House. Inside the Red House, merchants sell accessories such as trinkets for devices and various keychains. In the district, there is also a teahouse and theater. There are also many restaurants selling gua bao, rice balls, youtiao, also known as fried donuts, and traditional shaved ice with boba.