Filed under Features

What is the Longest Piece of Fiction in the World?

Books+

Books

Books

via Flickr

Books

via Flickr

via Flickr

Books

Okay, so everyone has read long books. Some seem longer than others…a lot longer. What is the longest book that one can read? Perhaps it is the Harry Potter series, The Land of Stories series, or any other  2-inch-or-more book. But what is the longest piece of fiction ever written in human history? One would be surprised.

It’s not J.K. Rowling’s Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows with 198,227 words. It’s not Charles Dickens’ Bleak House with 360,947 words. It’s not War and Peace by Leo Tolstoy with 587,287 words. The truth is the longest piece of fiction in the world to date…is a fanfiction.

This fanfiction has 4,102,217 words, with more than 220 chapters! The fanfiction is called Subspace Emissary Worlds Conquest, based on the popular fighting game Super Smash Bros Brawl’s. adventure mode, the Subspace Emissary. It is based on the question “What if the Smashers (characters)never defeated Tabuu (The final boss in the adventure mode), but only weakened him?

The main character is Chris, a teenager from our world who owns a Lucario (which is a Pokemon) that showed up on his doorstep a few months before. When Chris gets a copy of Super Smash Bros Brawl, two people, Master Hand and his brother Crazy Hand (Governors of the world of Smash) appear out of the game’s disk. Then they tell him that he is the one that will help destroy the Subspace Army and ultimately, Tabuu.

The thing that made the Super Smash Bros (SBB) ’s series unique was that it combined characters from different games such as the RPG This World Ends With You. The character development in SEWC was done extremely well for having 40 main characters running about, usually in different universes. The author is a  college student named Christian and he wrote SEWC because he believed it was a good way to learn English. Christian says that the story will come to an end at around 10 million words.

Recently  SEWC was surpassed by another fanfiction that is based on an anime/game called Kantai Collection by a few hundred thousand words. Kantai Collection is rated 14+ which might make some content not suited for middle school kids, while SSB’s rating, which is  El0+, is more appropriate for middle school kids. Seeing that the average length of a chapter is around 20,000 words for SEWC, it won’t be hard for Christian to catch up. The author claimed that “He will reclaim his rightful throne” on Twitter, though he has been inactive recently.

Is the SEWC a good fanfiction? The answer is, yes! It has good story elements, humor, and is packed with video game action. Is it appropriate for middle-schoolers? Well, the novel has some language, and although the author will usually block out most of the curses, it sometimes gets strong. Most of the characters in SEWC are morally pure, smart, and brave. There is some romance with secondary characters, violence, and some suggestive language, but beyond that, the fanfiction is appropriate for middle schoolers. SEWC  is rated, Teen.

Alyssa W., Reporter

Alyssa W.  is currently a 7th-grade girl in Kraemer Middle School. In her free time, she reads, plays piano, writes, draws and plays games. Among her...