Filed under Uncategorized

Santa Fe High School Shooting

The suspected school shooter, Dimitrios Pagourtzis.

via Wikipedia

via Wikipedia

In the US, there has been a devastating amount of 22 school shooting just this year. That is an average of more than 1 school shooting per week. 36 people have been killed so far in these school shootings. As of last Thursday, May 17, 2018, we would have been able to say that there were 26 people who had been killed. However, as of last Friday, May 18, 2018, another school shooting has been added to the list. The Santa Fe High School shooting in Texas, has been confirmed as another act of hate and violence.

It was early in the morning, during first period, when the fire alarm went off. Students were lining up to go outside, assuming that it was just a drill. However, they were mistaken. A large noise came from the art room. Everyone thought that something had fallen, but it turned out to be a gunshot. Those gunshots came from Dimitrios Pagourtzis.  Dimitrios had used a a shotgun and a .38 caliber revolver which had been legally possessed by his father. With the gun, he had started going crazy and started to yell at the students who were hiding from him. The kids that were hiding in the closet was being taunted by the shooter the whole time. He had been saying things like, get out of the closet and get your phone or asking if it’s for them. When no one came out, Pagourtzis repeatedly shot at the closet, trying to get in. The shooter had also brought 2 improvised explosive devices, but it turned out to be non-functional. He ended up killing 10 people and injuring 13 that day.

The victims sadly included 2 substitute teachers and 8 students. Their names were Christian Riley Garcia, Glenda Ann Perkins, Shana Fisher, Jared Black, Chris Stone, Sabika Sheikh, Cynthia Tisdale, Kimberly Vaughan, Angelique Ramirez, and Aaron Kyle McLeod. Most of them were in the art room during the attack and unfortunately may have been on Dimitrios’ bad side, as he had said that he had spared the kids he did like and shot the kids he didn’t like.

School shootings, like the Santa Fe High School shooting has been greatly affecting not just the US, but other countries as well. School is supposed to be a safe place for students, but as there are more and more school shootings, it becomes more dangerous. Teachers and students may both not want to go to school because of how dangerous it has become. People are dying at school and that just about makes everyone uncomfortable. School is for educational purposes only, not a place to let out anyone’s anger out on in such a way that it can lead to many deaths and injuries, mentally and physically.