Filed under Opinion

Should Video-Gaming Be Considered A Sport?

video game tournaments

video game tournaments

Senior Airman Jose L. Hernandez-Domitilo

video game tournaments

video game tournaments

Video-Gaming: One of the most popular pastimes for people of all ages. Many people enjoy playing a variety of different types of games. There are adventure games, puzzle games, racing games, sports games, and many more. But a common question that many people have for this hobby is whether or not video games could be classified as “sports.” While the common consensus is that all sports must require an amount of physical skill, such as agility or strength, I disagree. The reason for this is that there are games such as Chess or Darts that require more mental focus than anything, and they are accepted as “sports.” So why should video-gaming be any different? Video games require mental focus, endurance, and a lot of practice, which makes them similar to any other sport.

One of the most important characteristics pro-level gamers must have is a lot of mental focus. Esports is a level of competition in which the best gamers worldwide compete in tournaments against other players for large prizes or pools of money. With a humongous audience cheering for their favorite players, and large amounts of money at stake, these pro-level gamers need to be as mentally focused and prepared as they can to face other players. This makes gaming similar to any other sport: Basketball, Football, Baseball, etc. All “sports” require being mentally focused and playing at the top of your level.

Another thing that pro gamers need to survive long periods of playing games is endurance. Similarly to any other sport, competing players need to teach themselves to be able to play at their top-levels for long periods of time. It’s easy for players to become mentally and physically fatigued after sitting at a chair for several hours trying to focus on the game you’re playing, which is why endurance is one of the requirements that Esports has with other sports.

One of the last, and most important aspect of gaming, is practice. Similar to how a Basketball player takes hours to perfect their shot form, a professional gamer may take the same amount of time to master a series of movements or specific skills and abilities.. So it takes a lot of practice for these players to master their gameplay, and stay at the tip-top of their performance. For example, certain players can hit 500 APM (actions per minute) on a popular game known as Starcraft 2.

Overall, although there are people that disagree when people say “gaming can be considered a sport”, I truly believe that video-gaming can also be considered a sport for a multitude of reasons. Similarly to many other sports, pursuing a pro video-gaming career requires focus, endurance, and practice.

3 Comments

3 Responses to “Should Video-Gaming Be Considered A Sport?”

1. Bryan on September 30th, 2018 8:58 pm

In my opinion right now games are still not suppossed to be considered sports but i believe in the future lots of games can be considered one. Video game that supports VR is one of them, not only it needs lots of focus but it also need physical movements to move.

2. Bryan 2 on November 27th, 2018 3:50 pm

3. Bryan 3 on November 29th, 2018 12:16 pm

*

• Opinion

Should the Government Fund More Money Into Technology?

• Should Video-Gaming Be Considered A Sport?

Is the Government Watching People too much?

• Opinion

Why California Should Have Daylight Saving Year Round

Discrimination at US Universities

Metric V.S. Customary

Discord VS Google Hangouts

Understanding California’s Propositions

iPhone XS, XS Max, XR – Worth it or not?

Why Samsung Is Better Than Apple.

The Gun Debate