Filed under Sports

Buffon to Leave Juventus

Buffon, a phenomenal goal keeper, is soon to leave his long time team Juventus

In many sports, the off-season provides an exciting time for fans where transfer rumors are spread, big money transfers are made between teams and new contracts are signed. However, for the many Juventus fans around the world, this year’s transfer season provides some not-so-exciting news. After the last Series A fixture of the 2017/18 season against Hellas Verona, Gianluigi Buffon announced he had played his final game for Juventus after 17 years at the club. While it does not seem like he is set to retire for a couple more years, the news symbolizes the end of an era, with other greats like Xavi, Iniesta, Pirlo, Totti, Lampard,

and others all winding down their careers.

Gianluigi Buffon was born on January 28, 1978, to two athletic parents in Carrara, Italy. His father was a weightlifter and his mother was a discus thrower, both being great athletes which contributed to their son’s athleticism. As a child, Buffon preferred to play as a midfielder before switching over to the goalkeeper role somewhere around the age of 10. He joined Parma FC’s youth academy at the age of 13, and within his late teens, he was the starter for the first team. In 1999, Buffon guided his team to a UEFA Cup, Italian Cup and Italian Supercup, all in just one season. However, two seasons after the tremendous 1999 campaign, Buffon transferred to Juventus for around $45 million, which at the time was a record fee for a goalkeeper.  

While Buffon did have a lot of success at Parma, the majority of his club success was at Juventus. It didn’t take long for Buffon to establish himself into the team and led The Old Lady, a common nickname for Juventus, to four league titles in a row, as well as two Italian Supercups. His remarkable performances allowed him to be donned the UEFA Club Footballer of the Year award in 2003. However, things turned sour in 2006 when police uncovered a scandal, known as the Calciopoli Scandal, between top Serie A clubs including Juventus, and punishments were harshly distributed. For their punishment, Juventus were stripped of their previous league titles and relegated to the second division. Buffon, as many of his teammates, were disappointed and ashamed of their actions and played well to make it back into Serie A within a season.

The 2011/12 season marked a new era for Juventus. With the scandal behind them, Juventus would go on to win seven consecutive Scudettos, or Serie A titles, in addition to four domestic cups. With Buffon between the sticks, it seemed like nothing could get past him within those golden seasons. He didn’t even seem to be slowing down as the years went by and old age began creeping up on him. Sadly, however, throughout this period of absolute dominance in Serie A, Buffon has never won a Champions League with Juventus. While they did make it to three finals on different occasions over the years, Juventus lost to Real Madrid in 2017, FC Barcelona in 2015, and an especially heartbreaking loss to rivals AC Milan in 2003. Buffon is one of the players that has seemed to have achieved everything except a Champions League.

While Buffon is not ready for retirement quite yet, his retirement is sure to come in the near future. Perhaps he will stay around for two or three seasons and claim even more accolades before he puts away his gloves. Many transfer rumors have been floating around, with PSG reportedly front-runners for the legendary goalkeeper’s signature. Perhaps a move to PSG will suit Buffon, as it would allow for a couple more chances for the shot-stopper to claim a UEFA Champions League. Whatever his next move may be, fans around the world and especially at Juventus are all reflecting on the incredible career he’s had, and will be wondering what will come for him in the future.