Filed under Features

Unique Customs From Asia

s l u r p

via Pxhere

s l u r p

Everywhere in the world, there are unique customs that may seem strange to Americans. All countries have traditions that have been passed down from their ancestors and are still kept. These customs are very important to the people’s daily life and make the country unique. Some customs include festivals, types of manners, and special holidays. Asia has some of the most unique customs from around the world, and make each Asian country special.

One custom that may interest people is the special holidays. Chinese New Year is the most important holiday to the Chinese, On February 5th, Chinese people celebrate the new year by throwing a festival. In 2018, the Chinese New Year marks the start of the dog year. The holiday was traditionally a time to honor household and heavenly deities as well as ancestors. During the festival, families often gather to feast and celebrate. Some traditions during the New Year are to sacrifice food and paper icons to the gods, Elders giving money to children, and to rid houses of “huiqi”, or inauspicious breaths.  Another holiday that is important is Chuseok in Korea. This holiday is known as Korean Thanksgiving, which is one of three major Korean holidays of the year. Chuseok is in September and is a time for family, celebration, and eating. Koreans celebrate Chuseok by making special foods, particularly a certain kind of rice cake called songpyeon. It is then laid on steamed pine needles and is consumed. Overall, this is a big part of Korean culture and is very important.

Another interesting custom is etiquette in Asia. In Asia, there are manners that are much different than in America. One part of these manners is the greeting. Bowing is the traditional way to greet people, and many countries such as Japan, Korea, and China use it. This is a way to show respect for people and to also greet them. Some greetings include showing respect for older people, and greetings may vary for age. Another part of etiquette is table manners. Choden Dorjee, a worker at a resort, says that “Never turn down food or a drink offered when visiting someone’s home in Bhutan.” Turning down an offer is disrespectful to the host, and may offend them. Also, when invited to somebody’s house to eat, people usually bring some sort of wrapped gift. During a meal, the oldest person usually takes the first bite, and then the rest of the people may follow suit.

In conclusion, these customs from Asia make the countries unique and special. They change people’s lives, and help them to keep traditions from their ancestors. Customs are important to daily life and makes Asian culture truly special.