Filed under Campus Life

7th Grade GATE Catalina Field Trip

One of the beaches surrounding Catalina Island.

via Panoranimo

via Panoranimo

At the end of the 2017-2018 school year, all 7th grade GATE students at Kraemer Middle School will take a day trip to Catalina Island. Here, they will learn more about marine life, explore the island, and have a great time with their peers.

About four teachers and five chaperones will be accompanying students on the trip. This amount may vary. Every student is required to pay $150 for all of the meals, the bus transportation, the fare for the voyage, and the educational experiences during the trip. They will be split into three groups, each going a different day in June. Each group of about 70 kids will head to Long Beach on a bus and then board the RV Challenger, the research boat they will research marine life on.

Once at Catalina, the students will participate in fun activities such as kayaking, snorkeling, and squid dissecting. On their trip back to Long Beach, a delicious BBQ dinner will be provided on the RV Challenger. Back at Kraemer, they’ll be picked up by their parents with the stories of their once in a lifetime field trip.

The students will spend much time on the 118 ft. recreational vessel during the trip. The research boat has a maximum occupancy of 149 people and includes a long top deck for observations, 250 and 100 gallon touch tanks, seating areas with tables, and a kitchen. Aboard the boat to and from Catalina, students may witness astonishing sights, like dolphins jumping out of the water.

Jerry Chen, a student who went on the field trip last year says, “I would rate the trip an 8/10.” He gives advice to 7th graders, saying, “If you’re not used to waking up early, you can take a nap on the boat.” Eighth grader, Robert Baz also rates the field trip an 8/10. Baz states, “My favorite activity would probably be the squid dissecting.”

Overall, the Catalina field trip is going to be an amazing, educational experience for both teachers and students. According to many 7th grade teachers and current 8th grade students, the field trip to Catalina Island is one students will not want to miss. This trip will be an extraordinary way to end the school year!