Filed under Opinion

Do Video-Games Cause Violence?

Do Video-Games Cause Violence?

Person playing video game.

Person playing video game.

Flickr

Person playing video game.

Flickr

Flickr

Person playing video game.

Since 1992, 3D first-person shooter (FPS) video games have been a huge hit with teens and adults. The games’ fast-paced and incredibly imaginative style have proved to be a massive hit with the younger generation, but there is one problem with these games that has our society split…violence. In almost every single FPS shooter game there is somewhat heavy violence. Many of the games strive to be as realistic as possible, therefore resulting in the games themselves being, darker and more violent. On top of that, in a world where gang violence and gun violence at schools is becoming common, people who have no idea what they’re talking about immediately blame the video games or guns. These absurd accusations have somehow found a way to start a debate- do video games cause violence?

The answer is simple: video games do not cause violence, the person who plays the game does. The public is led to believe that all video games cause violence to kids because the media only shows the positive results of this claim. In reality, the games have nothing to do with school shootings. For example, there are over 100 million people who have immersed themselves in the popular video game series, Call of Duty. Call of Duty is a war simulator FPS, where the player takes on the role of several different marines and experiences a very accurate depiction of war (not counting any of the futuristic games in the franchise).

Despite their mature ESRB ratings, this game has been demonized for corrupting young children and desensitizing them to violence, even though a child that young should not be playing a game that is dark and heavy. If the child is too young to not understand that killing is wrong, the parents of the child shouldn’t be allowing their kids to play the game. Then, the kid (whose brain hasn’t fully matured) will get the wrong idea about war and violence, not because of the game, but because his parents were negligent and let him play a game where they are forced to kill.

Even so, that doesn’t mean the kid will do anything harmful to others. The kids who actually perform acts of violence, have many other psychological issues, that had nothing to do with the video games itself (Ex. abuse, neglect, alienation, etc.), and as a result, the public and the media are more comfortable blaming the game for ruining the kid, not his family, or people at school who treated him like trash. The way the media treats school violence with video games is very similar to how the media treats gun rights, in which the object that the kid used is blamed and demonetized, rather than blaming the child for being sick enough to kill other kids his age.

Zach W., Reporter

Zach W. is a 7th grader who attends Kraemer Middle School. He enjoys watching TV, reading, and talking with his friends in his free time. Zach also likes...