Samsung’s Future Phones

Samsung’s Future Phones

What a nice looking phone...

What a nice looking phone...

Via Wikipedia

What a nice looking phone...

Via Wikipedia

Via Wikipedia

What a nice looking phone...

For a long time, tech giants have been experimenting with folding screens. LG is working on a folding phone and a foldable TV and Huawei claims it has a “working” foldable phone. In fact, LG released a rollable TV. Way back in 2011, Samsung showed off a clunky prototype of a folding phone. Samsung’s new folding phone is rumored to be the Galaxy X and to be released as early as 2019

Foldable phones are much harder to crack or break compared to the stiff phones we currently have. They can curve in back pockets and give app developers more space and flexibility when coding new apps. However, while designing the new phone, engineers have faced several problems. Everything on the phone from the screen to the computer chips needs to be flexible but still strong enough to stand day to day use. Early foldable phones will probably have a limit on how much they can fold.

Samsung’s new folding phone is rumored to be called the Galaxy X and available as soon as early as 2019 although there are still challenges to overcome, and if they aren’t resolved the release date will be pushed back. Samsung will most likely beat Apple at being first to release a foldable phone. Apple’s rumored foldable iPhone is still at very early stages of development. The Galaxy X’s design consists of three, 3.5 inch OLED displays. Two of them will be on the front and one on the back. When unfolded, the Samsung X will merge two displays together creating an almost tablet-sized 7-inch display. When the two screens are folded into each other, the screen on the back will turn the Samsung X into a phone. Unfold the phone for a tablet, fold back up for a phone. However, the 3.6 inch phone display and 7 inch tablet display might be too small compared to the regular 5.6 inch phone screen tablet displays. It is also expected to feature an in-display fingerprint sensor, something Apple couldn’t implement into the iPhone X. Samsung is reported to be manufacturing parts for a foldable phone on a very small scale.

The Galaxy Note 9 looks very similar to last years Galaxy note 8. It’s expected to have similar stats to the Galaxy 8 and the same camera as the Galaxy note 8. They are rumors that the Galaxy Note 9 will be the first Samsung phone to have an in-screen fingerprint sensor instead of the one on the back, but already there are claims that Samsung is still having trouble with the technology and the Note 9 won’t have an in-screen sensor.
In the foreseeable future, Samsung has some exciting new technology and projects. Samsung’s future projects may change the phone industry forever and worth looking forward to.

Jason M., Co-Editor in Chief

Jason M. is currently an 8th grader at Kraemer Middle School and is taking newspaper, library aid, and ASB as his electives. He hopes to attend Valencia...