Filed under Features

The Corpse Flower

A corpse flower in bloom

A corpse flower in bloom

The Corpse Flower, also known as, Amorphophallus titanum, blooms every 3 to 10 years. Not too long ago, the Corpse Flower was set to bloom in Tucson, Arizona. On April 23, 2018, the corpse was finally in full bloom. About a year ago, on July 9, 2017, the corpse flower was starting its first bloom. This year’s flower was nicknamed Rosie, given by the tourists, taking pictures.

After its blooming, the corpse flower only lasts for 24 hours. Once it’s done with its objective, it would close back up and die right after. Its name comes from two things. First, of its rotting smell, described as rotting flesh or a corpse. Last because after blooming for a day, it would just die right then and there.

In 2016, there have been several times a corpse flower bloomed. After the first bloom in New York Botanical Garden, there were more reports of corpse flowers blooming almost everywhere. Corpse flowers in India, Florida, North Carolina, Wisconsin, and District of Columbia. Three days after those blooms, another corpse flower bloomed in Colorado. Followed by another in Missouri, Hawaii, Washington state, and New Hampshire and Massachusetts.

Corpse flowers can grow up to 10 to 15 feet. The leaves can be as big as 13 feet wide. One of the tallest corpse flower that ever bloomed was about 10 feet and 2.12 inches tall!

The corpse flower is known to smell really bad, as people describe it, like rotting flesh. Releasing that kind of horrible smell can attract certain pollinators to help it pollinate. Its smell has multiple odors in it which can fool a fly, making it think that there was food. Leaving pollen on its legs. Smells such as dimethyl trisulfide, dimethyl disulfide, which smell a lot like garlic, trimethylamine, isovaleric acid, benzyl alcohol, which as a floral scent, phenol, and indole. These scents help the corpse flower attract specific pollinators, which helps the corpse flower ensure the continuation of its species.

The flowers were found in Sumatra, 1878 by an Italian named Odoardo Beccari. They have been on Earth for quite some time, leaving an astonishing sight behind every time the flowers fade away.