Filed under Food & Travel

Yosemite National Park

A picture of Yosemite National Park

A picture of Yosemite National Park

via Flickr

via Flickr

A picture of Yosemite National Park

Established on October 1, 1890, Yosemite National Park has attracted thousands of visitors and tourists from around the world. It is located in California’s Sierra Nevada mountains and covers a total area of 1,169 square miles. Though the entire park is filled with beautiful landscapes and fantastic views, this park is famous for its ancient giant sequoia trees, which can almost never be found anywhere else. Yosemite is a great park filled with many jaw-dropping views and experiences to remember.

Hiking in Yosemite can expose someone to the many rare animals of the park. Most famous of them all is the Sierra Nevada Bighorn Sheep. These sheep are native to the land and are the only animal species in the park to be on the endangered species list. These majestic creatures have, as their name suggests, big horns. They usually weigh around 120-200 pounds and are about 2.5 – 3.25 feet tall from shoulder to the ground. These animals have long horns that are different from other sheep because their horns have less curve and are more straight. Another animal that can be seen at the park is the American Black Bear. There are about 300-500 of these bears inside Yosemite, and they are excellent tree climbers. Whether they are overcome with fear or excitement, these animals will surely leave tourists in awe.

Yosemite also has many famous landmarks within its borders. One famous landmark is El Capitan. Located on the north side of Yosemite Valley, this rock formation scales an elevation of 7,569 feet. Due to its tremendous elevation, many climbers took the challenge of climbing it, a great and respected achievement. Another famous landmark inside the park is Half Dome. Half Dome is located on the east side of Yosemite Valley and is made of granite. The name Half Dome comes from its unusual shape, having a round edge on one side of the rock and a flat end on the other. It goes as high as 8,839 feet and is another challenge to many hikers who seek to climb it. These 2 attractions have brought many brave climbers and hikers into the park that seek the thrill of climbing these amazing mountains.

Another thing tourists must do in Yosemite is white water rafting. The Tuolumne River, which extends for 149 miles, is an excellent place to get a thrill and cool down from the heat during hot days in the park. These white waters consist of class 3-5 rapids and trips last from around 2-5 days. During the trip, campers will visit natural hot springs, go on hikes, and have a good time.

Yosemite is filled with wonders that can only be experienced at the park. Filled with beautiful views and majestic creatures, Yosemite is definitely a place worth visiting in the future.