Filed under Features

Pizza Hut’s Pie-Ordering Shoes

Psst, hey kid, want some pizza?

Psst, hey kid, want some pizza?

via Geograph

via Geograph

Psst, hey kid, want some pizza?

Throughout history, there has been many methods to order your favorite pizza, and innovation has made ordering the perfect pizza even easier. Methods have started from calling-in to your favorite local pizzeria, to having them deliver it directly to yourself, and then evolving to online-order and customization of your preference of toppings on your pie. But perhaps the most creative methods of ordering pizza was introduced by the famous pizza-making franchise, “Pizza Hut.” Now, with the latest pie-ordering technology, known as “pie-tops” make ordering the delicious food even easier.

“Pie-tops” are bright-red, high-top basketball sneakers with the amazing ability to send out a pizza-order with the click of a button. In order to hook up the sweet kicks, the user must download the Pizza Hut app on their smartphone, and link the sneakers via bluetooth. After setting up an address and a preferred pizza, the user simply needs to click the button on their shoe, and confirm the order on their phone. From that point on, you can just kick back and relax while watching your favorite sports, T.V. shows, and movies.

With Pizza Hut’s latest update to the sneakers, the users now have the ability to pause whatever they’re watching on the T.V., through their sneakers. Amazing, right? And there’s no setup required for this unique feature. A person would simply need to point the shoes in the direction of the T.V., and click a button to pause it for enough time to answer the door and receive the pizza you previously ordered.

The shoes are very limited, and are difficult to come across, with only a few websites and shoe models up for sale. But let’s state the obvious here: the shoes are clearly a marketing stunt. The main purpose of these sneakers are to generate buzz for Pizza Hut, and attract more customers. The shoes are actually pretty comfortable, granted that they are considered “basketball sneakers,” but they look hideous. Pizza Hut has come out with two different color designs for their sneakers so far: A bright-red colored shoe, inspired by the signature red used in the Pizza Hut logo. They also came out with a new wheat-colored design, which was inspired by the crust of their pizza. Pizza Hut is also working on more sizing options for women and teenagers.

In the end, yes, the sneakers are sort of just a gimmick, and Pizza Hut is just trying to attract more customers with their custom, limited-supply Pie-tops, and not a lot of people would wear bright-red or brown-splotched high tops anyway. But it’s up to the customers to decide if this interesting, bluetooth, pie-ordering product is something that they would buy.