Filed under Features

Strangest Urban Legends

A game better than Fortnite

A game better than Fortnite

A game better than Fortnite

What are Urban Legends? An Urban Legend is a scary or funny story. Usually said is a true story, but no one really knows if it is. Some Urban legends have actually come true.

As the legend goes in 1904, a bus holding patients for an asylum crashed and all the patients escaped. All but one of the patients were once again captured. Soon after the incident dead bunnies began to appear near where the accident had happened, many hanging from the Fairfax Station Bridge. This story hasn’t been proven to be true and many historians say it can’t be true since there weren’t any asylums in Fairfax country in 1904.

What did happen is that in 1970 a man in a bunny suit attacked a couple at night with an ax. A few weeks later a man again in a bunny suit was spotted chopping a porch of an unoccupied and recently built house. Although the “Bunny Man” hasn’t been spotted again, they have gone as fair as renaming the Fairfax Station Bridge,  the Bunny Man Bridge. The incident has gotten so much attention that Google Maps even uses it.

In 1981 in Portland, Oregon, a game called “Polybius” was released for about one month. This game was said to be designed by the government as a psychological experiment. The game would give the players nightmares and seizures. Government officials would then come and extract information through the arcade machine about the players. This was obviously not true, but there where many other games that probably helped start the legend. Like the game Tempest released in 1981 that caused people who played it to experience epileptic reactions or motion sickness so happened.

There are many boogeyman stories. For example, a local one in Staten Island was the story of Cropsey. Cropsey was said to live in the underground tunnels below Willowbrook State School which was a school for kids with developmental disabilities. Cropsey would look for kids who were wandering in the woods close by to the school. The truth is that there was someone living in the tunnels under Willowbrook. The former janitor Andre Rand was living in the tunnels. Rand was charged for kidnaping a pair of missing girls but the police couldn’t find him guilty.  

Over all you never really think all these stories and legends are real or can happen, but this shows it can happen. Next time you hear or read an urban legend, hope it’s not real.