Filed under Opinion

Do Video Games Make People More Violent?

video+games
video games

video games

Wikimedia Commons

Wikimedia Commons

video games

Today, there are many violent games that possibly influence people’s behavior. Many popular games such as Call of Duty, Player Unknown’s Battlegrounds, and even animated games like Fortnite or Overwatch can make kids more violent. There are many pieces of evidence that show that video games can lead to aggressiveness in people’s behavior.

President Donald Trump held a meeting at the White House discussing the relation between violence in video games and school shootings.  Research shows that playing extreme games can increase fierce behavior. On July 22, 2016, an eighteen year-old murdered nine people in a mall in Munich, Germany. The gunman was said to have been obsessed with mass shootings, and was planning the attack for over a year.  Reports say that the gunman was a fan of first-person shooters.

One reason that video game violence is bad is because it causes aggression, bullying, and fighting. Several studies show that about 50% children in middle school who play M-rated games hit or beat someone, while only about 27% of children who did not play those games have attacked people. Another study showed that 90% of pediatricians and 67% of parents agreed that violent video games can increase aggression. Over 98% of pediatricians also agree that too much exposure to media can increase contentious behavior in a person. Finally, simulating having a gun can cause violent behavior outside of video games. Many games require a person to shoot or stab someone with guns and blades. This can be a bad influence on kids and make them want to do it in reality. Aggressive behavior is measured by scientists in a number of ways. Some studies looked at reports of hitting or pushing, and somte looked at ratings on aggressive behaviors. Other studies looked at how likely an individual was to subject others to hot sauce or a loud noise after playing violent video games.

In conclusion, video games can have a big effect on the behavior of kids. Many facts lead to the conclusion that if kids play violent video games, it will negatively affect them and influence their behavior. If kids play violent video games, it will make the kids want to experience true shooting, and can cause some chaos . Clearly, violent video games can harm a child and affect their behavior. They should limit the amount of time a child spends on these kinds of games.