Filed under Opinion

Why Is Skateboarding So Trendy?

Expectation (above)
Reality (just look at me)

Expectation (above) Reality (just look at me)

Willian Was

Willian Was

In the past, trends have come and gone. Four years ago, the hottest toy was Rainbow Loom and most recently, the trend was slime and fidget spinners. Everyone knows that once a trend dies, it dies forever; there is an exception to this though. Time and time again, skateboarding has constantly resurfaced as a trend.

The main reason for skateboarding being so trendy again is because it has always been interwoven with pop culture. For the past few years, all the biggest names in fashion have been brands like Supreme and Stussy, which were originally skater-oriented. After these brands became big, skating went along with its fame. Even now, Supreme still stays true to its roots in skating, even if their products are more expensive than before.

Fashion in skate culture has always been about being unique and making a statement. This might be why most people will gravitate towards the sport and the culture surrounding it. It has also been this reason that skate fashion is constantly changing. Because of the culture’s tendency to be different, fashion in skating will change completely almost overnight.

Skate fashion is very peculiar. If skaters catch “outsiders” trying to copy them, they will switch to the exact opposite. In the early 2000s, the trend in skating was big, baggy clothes. Once snowboarders and rollerbladers caught on, the trend switched to “country club” clothes like Polo and Tommy Hilfiger.

Another reason why many might be attracted towards skateboarding is the culture. Skating isn’t a hard sport to get into. In fact, most of skating is self taught, whether from watching YouTube videos or learning from friends. With a skateboarding also comes the culture. Skate culture is generally accepting, as it is less about competition and more about self-expression and just having fun.

Most people will view being trendy as a negative thing, seeing it as being conforming or unoriginal. This is not always the case, though. America’s obesity rate is rising every year, and the vast amount of fast food restaurants aren’t helping. With skateboarding becoming more and more popular, there will be more people who want to get into it, which could possibly control the obesity rate in America.

Skateboarding is evidently a rising trend today. It is becoming both a popular fashion and a hobby. Whether it becomes an inherent part of our culture or a passing fad, skateboarding is definitely a healthier trend than previous ones.