Filed under Opinion

Are Baby Instagram Accounts Ok?

baby on a phone

baby on a phone

viviandnguyen_

viviandnguyen_

baby on a phone

We’ve all seen them–baby pictures, hundreds of them–on Instagram. Most notably are the children of celebrities. Celebrities are constantly under the scrutiny of the media and public. Majority of these celebs have children. Some choose to keep the faces of their kids away from the mangled internet. Others openly post pictures of their kids online, even opening an account specifically dedicated to the child. In my opinion, baby Instagram accounts should not be ok.

Don’t get me wrong, baby pictures occasionally on a parents’ Instagram account are cute, but what happens when the children get their own accounts? An example is DJ Khaled’s son Asahd. Asahd Tuck Khaled, a little over a year old, has his own Instagram account, with a total of 1.8 million followers and close to 400 posts. The posts of these accounts generally revolve around a similar theme of family photos and professional photoshoots where the babies or toddlers are dressed in designer clothing. Boomer Phelps, son of Olympic swimmer Michael Phelps also has his own Instagram account. Aside from celebrity children, many parents also choose to dedicate an account purely to their baby, building up a fanbase of followers who want consistent posts.

The social media accounts of small children and babies aren’t managed by the child themselves, obviously. At their age, most babies aren’t even fully self-aware, and don’t feel embarrassment. But that leaves the parent as the main figure running all this publicity. It would be my assumption that a majority of these babies aren’t aware that pictures of themselves are being broadcasted onto the internet where essentially anyone has access to them. I don’t think that it is right for a parent to simply set up a social media account for their baby. The child has no idea, and can’t give consent. They didn’t give approval to a public account, or any of the pictures being posted online.

Along with the lack of real consent, the age requirement to create an Instagram account, and most other social media in general is age 13. Having a baby Instagram account completely violates that guideline. There are age requirements  such as these to ensure the privacy of children. This is even required by law, under the “Children’s Online Privacy Protection Act”, passed in 1998. Parents can surpass the rule by saying that they manage the account, but they are still posting images of their baby, a minor for thousands of people to see. The babies aren’t even tweens of 10 or 11, they are newborns. According to “Fast Company”, there are online predators who virtually kidnap photos of babies and place them on a role playing website. There are teenage girls stealing these images and claiming the baby within the picture is theirs.

Another reason why I think baby Instagram accounts aren’t ok is what happens to the account as the child grows up? What happens when the baby starts going to school, and becomes aware of the many photos which have been circulating the internet for much of his or her early years? Having a baby Instagram account could cause later embarrassment to the child. It isn’t fair for them, because it was their parents who made this decision for them.

Baby Instagram accounts are not ok. Not only are they created without the full consent of the baby, they also bypass the 13 year old age limit. The account violates the privacy of the child, exposes them to online predators, and provides embarrassment later on when they grow up. Baby social media isn’t going away anytime, but parents should need stop to think longer about the privacy, safety, and future of their kids.