Filed under Sports

Djokovic’s Downfall

Djokovic’s Downfall

As the former number one player in the world, Djokovic is not the same player he once was before his injury

Novak Djokovic, a star tennis player that was once the number one seed in the world. He dropped down to  thirteen after an injury, which caused him to suffer a series of defeats. This was caused by a combination of bad coaching and injury. As a tennis player, Djokovic has no definite persona. Unlike Federer and Nadal, who both have a sense of purpose to them, Djokovic is fuzzy. He has been a giddy clown, a spoiler, a diet guru, a politician, a father, a husband, a genius, a fool, and a smirking patriarch. Even though he dominated this sport with four consecutive majors, Djokovic have fallen far and hard. He started the year with five wins and five losses, which is a career low for him.

His downfall started way earlier. In 2016, he was beaten by Sam Querrey in his first loss before the quarter finals of a major since 2009. Right after that, he suffered a shocking first-round loss to Juan Martin del Potro, which reduced him to tears. Then, he was beaten by Wawrinka in the 2016 U.S. Open final. With that loss, his two-year hold on the number one seat was threatened by Andy Murray. With two further losses in the Shanghai Open and Paris Open, Murray took over as the number 1 seed. Even after the losses, Djokovic still could have taken back the ranking if he had won the ATP World Tour Finals, but he was beaten by Andy in the finals. After the losses, Djokovic fired his coach, Boris Becker. In 2017, he suffered another shocking defeat in the Australian Open. This was Djokovic’s earliest exit since 2008. He then fired his entire coaching team, saying that he needed to work along and “rediscover the spark.”

After firing his team, Djokovic hired Andre Agassi, but he was crushed by Dominic Thiem in the quarter-finals of French Open. Some Serbian fans even accused him of disintegrating. He retired from Wimbledon against Tomas Berdych in the quarter-finals because of an elbow injury. Shortly after that, he announced that he would not be playing again in 2017.

In 2018, he returned for the Indian Wells. He looked like a shadow of his former self as he lost in three sets. Djokovic blamed his loss on his surgery, which happened only weeks before, but he still decided to play, which was his decision . He remarked that he “was grateful to be out on the court after surgery that quickly but at the same time just didn’t feel good at all.”

In response to Djokovic’s downfall, Becker, his previous coach, stated that it was like Djokovic was playing “with the handbrake on” and that tennis didn’t seem to be that important anymore. One reason that Becker quit was because he thought that he wasn’t that important to Djokovic anymore. Wertheim, a sports expert, wrote that at the rate that Djokovic is losing, he wouldn’t even make the ATP World Tour Finals.

After a series of losses and defeats, Djokovic is on the fall. In 2018, Djokovic only has 5 wins and already 5 losses. The future doesn’t look good for him, but Nadal, his main rival, stated that Djokovic would come back. He told reporters that “perhaps it’s not as high as he used to be,” Though beaten down, and shows less of his for

Jerry C., Co-Editor - Science & Technology

Jerry C. is an 8th grader attending Kraemer Middle School, and a reporter for the Cub Reporter. His favorite subjects in school are math and speech &...