Filed under Sports

Top 5 Best Super Bowls of All Time

The Super Bowl, the most anticipated event of the year, is always a thrill.

There have been 52 Super Bowls in NFL history. Some of these were complete blowout games with one team already predicted to win at halftime. Other games were so close that it was impossible to predict who would win until the game was over, and it is in these games that teams show their true spirit in this all out battle.

Coming in at number five, is Super Bowl XXXVI (36), and it was an extreme one at that. On February 3, 2002, the New England Patriots played a tough game against the St. Louis Rams. The final score was 20-17 Patriots. Thanks to the Patriot’s unbeatable defense and the help of quarterback, Tom Brady, the Patriots led by 14 points in the third quarter, however, the Rams came back and tied the game up at 17-17. Adam Vinatieri, after a good setup by the Patriot’s offense, scored a field goal from 48 yards as the time expired giving the Patriots the Super Bowl win. Tom Brady was named MVP with 16 out of 27 passes, 145 passing yards, and a touchdown.

Super Bowl XIII (13) gets its spot as the 4th best Super Bowl of all time. On January 21, 1979, the Pittsburgh Steelers played the Dallas Cowboys for the Super Bowl title. At the Miami Orange Bowl, the Steelers topped the Cowboys with a score of 35-31. Both teams had very strong offenses, but the Steelers’ defense held up until the end. They stopped the Cowboys from scoring until the final minutes of the game, where the Cowboys were able to score two touchdowns. However, it wasn’t enough and the Steelers won the game. Terry Bradshaw was named MVP with 318 passing  yards and 4 touchdowns.

Super Bowl XLII (42), was a close and exciting loss for the New England Patriots. On February 3, 2008, the New York Giants played an upset game against the New England Patriots. The final score was 17-14, and the win was largely credited to  when Eli Manning was able to escape pressure and throw it to David Tyree for a miraculous helmet catch. The Giants comeback win ruined what would have been an undefeated season for the New England Patriots. Eli Manning was named MVP with 255 passing yards and 2 touchdowns.

. Super Bowl XLVIII (49) was arguably the most exciting Super Bowl of all time. On February 1, 2015, in the University of Phoenix Stadium, the Seattle Seahawks lost a very bitter and upsetting game to the New England Patriots. On the final drive, Russell Wilson threw one of the most wildest catches in NFL Super Bowl history to Jermaine Kearse to try and steal back the game. Finally, at the one yard line, in the final moments of the game,  Russell Wilson threw an interception to Malcolm Butler resulting in a final score of 24-28. This play was considered the worst call in Super Bowl history, as the Seahawks were at the one yard line, and had the ability of the best running back in the NFL at that time. The MVP of the game was Tom Brady with 37-of-50 throws caught, 328 passing yards, and 4 touchdowns.

The number one best Super Bowl of all time, is very recent, and the title goes to Super Bowl LI (51). This Super Bowl had it all; it was the greatest comeback in all of Super Bowl history- led by the Patriots quarterback, Tom Brady. Trailing 28-3 to the Atlanta Falcons, the Patriots were behind by 25 points, the biggest comeback deficit in Super Bowl history. In the fourth quarter, the Patriots scored 19 points tying the game at 28-28. Finally, the game went into overtime where the Patriots scored a touchdown to win the game, completing the best comeback in Super Bowl history. The MVP was easily Tom Brady, who lead the Patriots with 466 yards and two touchdowns.

Throughout the history of the NFL, there have been many great Super Bowls. There have been plenty of unforgettable Super Bowls over the century.