Scientists Discover New Human Organ

Diagram+of+an+interstitium.+

Scientists Discover New Human Organ

Diagram of an interstitium.

Diagram of an interstitium.

via Wikipedia

Diagram of an interstitium.

via Wikipedia

via Wikipedia

Diagram of an interstitium.

Throughout history, various milestones marked important discoveries made in science. Some of those disclosures saved hundreds of thousands of lives. On March 27, 2018, a lineup of scientists might have begun to unravel a cure for a fatal and virulent disease called cancer.

Just under the top layer of skin lies what scientists are now calling “interstitium”. Previously, scientists initially thought the interstitium was a series of connective tissues lined throughout the human body. Scientists then took a more precise look and discovered that the “connective tissue” was something of its own. Connective tissues have a particularly small number of cells, and the interstitium is fluid packed membrane found along the body. However, under a microscope connective tissue and interstitium look the same due to a process which identifies diseases. The process includes draining the substance, as a result; the interstitium would look indistinguishable compared to connective tissue. Now that researchers know the interstitium acts as somewhat of a highway like structure, scientists are beginning to understand how cancer and other diseases are being spread throughout the body.

Scientists also believe the interstitium serves as a defender against blows towards the body. With this information, researchers could also state that the interstitium protects tissues from ripping apart when organs and muscles are being moved. Some even suggest the interstitium could be one of the largest tissues in the human body. Although the interstitium is considered an organ by countless amounts of scientists, many believe the interstitium is anything but an organ. The role that the interstitium plays shouldn’t be significant enough to be treated like an organ. “Identifying it as such could help direct research towards it, and put its functionality in a new light.”  Claire Maldarelli from www.popsci.com suggests. Many believe that scientists titled the interstitium an organ for the main purpose of attracting more attention, due to the fact that a lot of reconditioning goes into a newly discovered organ. Back in the year 2017 the mesentery, a recently discovered function, was also labeled an organ even though many disagree it isn’t a sufficient enough system to be considered as such.

Discoveries like this one are scarce and can hold valuable information on how the human body functions. Whether or not the interstitium will be considered an organ, it is important to pursue the study of a newly identified objective to finally take a lead on cancer and other diseases.

Natalie B., Reporter

Natalie Bonning is a thirteen year old eighth grader at Kraemer Middle School. She loves drawing and playing the ukulele. Her love of writing has forced...