Filed under Sports

The Worst Sports Teams of the 2000s

Picture of Andrew McCutchen, who was the star player of the terrible Pittsburgh Pirates

Wikimedia Commons

Wikimedia Commons

Many teams that were dominant during the early 2000s are still strong and dominant to this day. Teams such as the Spurs or the Patriots have been near the top of the ladder every season in the past decade. On the other hand, there are many teams still struggling from their mistakes during the early 2000s. Poor draft choices, injuries, and bad coaching are all factors that lead to dismal results, year after year for these five teams.

The Golden State Warriors have been as good as any team for the last five years, but they weren’t always like this. In the 2000s, Baron Davis and Jason Richardson lead Warriors to only two seasons over .500 and even won 21 games or less in three seasons. This turned out to be a blessing in disguise for the Warriors, as these losing seasons helped them later as they loaded up on many valuable draft picks. These picks lead to the Warriors becoming a dynasty in today’s NBA.

The MLB’s Kansas City Royals went 29 seasons without even making the playoffs, and they were terrible in 2000. They were a low market team which didn’t allow them to sign any superstars due to their funding. Unlike the Warriors, draft picks didn’t really help the Royals, as they posted four, 100 game losing seasons and were last of their division five times. They were the laughing stock of the MLB for years.

The NHL’s Florida Panthers started the 2000s great as they made the playoffs in 2000. This was not a sign of things to come, as they spent years and years of losing after that year. Like the Royals, the Panther’s picked top five in the NHL draft multiple times, but they kept drafting the wrong players. They were embarrassingly awful.

In the 1990s the NFL’s Buffalo Bills were a powerhouse as they made the Super Bowl four times in a row. Their fate changed in the 2000s however as the tables turned on them. They ended the playoff drought in 2018, but before that, the last time they made the playoffs was the 1999 season. Since then the Bills have signed coach after coach and quarterback after quarterback, but the results were the same as they just kept losing. They ended the 2000s with five straight losing seasons.

From 1993 to 2012 the MLB’s Pittsburgh Pirates had several losing seasons…19 straight seasons!  2010 started a positive streak for the Pirates, as they made the playoffs in 2013, 2014, and 2015. Unfortunately for Pirates fans, they are now back to their losing ways.

People have seen many sports team’s dynasties rise and fall since the early 2000s, but unfortunately for the five teams listed above, they didn’t have the best decade entering the 21st century. Yet some on the list, like the Warriors and the Royals, are now back on track or better. Others like the Pirates, Bills, and Panthers could be returning to power very soon, but at the moment remain average.