Actress Spotlight: Sandra Bullock

Sandra+Bullock
Sandra Bullock

Sandra Bullock

Via Wikimedia Commons

Via Wikimedia Commons

Sandra Bullock

Sandra Bullock is an actress who has played many female roles during her acting career. She is also a producer and philanthropist, someone who supports charities such as American Red Cross. Bullock is known as “America’s Sweetheart” because of her bubbly and charming personality. Every character she plays always has that same unique charisma that others adore.

Bullock was born in Washington D.C. to a vocal coach and opera singer on July 26, 1964. When she was a child, she toured Europe with her mother. Later on, this experience made her interested in show business. In high school, Bullock became very popular as a cheerleader. Her classmates dubbed her as, “Most Likely to Brighten Your Day.” After attending East Carolina University, she moved to New York to focus on her acting profession. She started acting in stage productions, such as off-Broadway No Time Flat. After moving to Los Angeles, Bullock played a small role in the TV show Bionic Showdown: The Six-Million Dollar Man and the Bionic Woman and the female lead in the short-lived show, Working Woman in 1989. Surviving the career fallout that followed, she continued to act in other television shows. In 1992, she was cast for one of her most famous films, Speed, a bus-with-a-bomb action movie. She later acted in the romantic comedy, While You Were Sleeping which was a major hit. Unfortunately, the films that followed were pretty mediocre, the worst out of them being Speed 2: Cruise Control in 1997. Some of her more recent, successful parts were Dr. Ryan Stone in the high-rated science fiction thriller, Gravity (2013) and Leigh Anne Tuohy in the comedy-drama, The Blind Side (2009).

Donating a total of $5 million dollars to American Red Cross since 2001, Sandra Bullock is grateful to help people in need. After the 9/11 attacks, the A-list actress donated $1 million to Red Cross. She even gave $5,000 dollars to a struggling 86 year-old named, Svend Petersen. Peterson was a popular pool manager to the Beverly Hills Hotel for 40 years. The octogenarian was trying to find an apartment while living in his car. Bullock wrote on his Go Fund Me page, “‘Everything is going to be ok!’ Louis Bullock (My son).” One of her recent donations was $1 million that she pledged to help victims of Hurricane Harvey. Bullock states, “I’m just grateful I can do it. We have to take care of one another.”

In summary, Sandra Bullock is an amazing, talented actress. Her sunny character is notable for brightening people’s day. Not only is she a very fun-loving individual, but she also donates huge sums of her income to others in need.