Love, Simon

Love, Simon movie logo

Love, Simon movie logo

Via Wikimedia Commons

Via Wikimedia Commons

Love, Simon movie logo

Love, Simon is a romantic comedy-drama film directed by Greg Berlanti starring Nick Robinson, Jennifer Garner, Katherine Langford, and Miles Heizer. The film is based on a closeted gay teenage boy in high school coming out and how it affects the rest of his life when he comes out. This movie is known for pushing the limits on cinematic norms.

With Nick Robinson playing the main character, Simon Spier, he admits he’s gay on an online anonymous forum. Simon continues talking to another closeted teenage boy, who goes by the name Blue, through emails, until their whole conversation is discovered by another student. Simon starts to suspect a guy named Bram is Blue, the person he has been talking to online. After investigating, he found Bram kissing a girl at a Halloween party, which was a dead end. As the school’s annual musical is coming up, Simon auditions and soon after becomes close to a boy named Lyle. Spier tells his best friend, Abby, that he is gay and she encourages him to come out or at least talk to Lyle.

At the school’s football game, Simon is about to tell Lyle who Simon thinks he is, only to find out Lyle likes Abby. Once again another dead end. Martian, another one of Simon’s friends admits he likes Abby over the microphone during the national anthem, only to get rejected in front of the whole school. As Martian is boiling with anger and embarrassment, he impulsively posts Simon’s emails with Blue online. The anonymous person gets mad and tells Simon they should stop emailing, right before he deleted his account. Simon is devastated as he lost a pen-pal he fell in love with. As Simon’s parents can tell something is going on, they confront him about what’s been going on. Simon opens up and tells them everything that’s been happening the past few months. Simon, determined to find Blue, posts a confession online about how he was the person emailing Blue and that he is gay. He waits for Blue to come out and reveal himself at a carnival. Bram, the person Simon first suspected steps forward and admits he has been Blue the whole time. He says that the kiss at the party was a drunk mistake that he regrets. Together, the two ride the Ferris wheel and kiss at the top. At the end of the movie, Simon suggests that the two go on an adventure, and many viewers think this line is a link to a potential second movie.

Love, Simon is a huge step forward for the LGBTQ community as it is the first major studio movie focusing revolving around a gay character and his experience. Not only is it pushing what is film acceptable, but it also shows kids that it’s ok to express yourself. Common Sense Media states, “Tender, sweet, and affecting, this is the mainstream rom-com that gay teens might not have even known they needed.”