The Rebirth of Vine

Vine+logo
Vine logo

Vine logo

Via Wikimedia Commons

Via Wikimedia Commons

Vine logo

You’ve probably heard of Vine, the ‘dead’ social media app. If you haven’t, Vine was a popular app much like Instagram and Snapchat today. Vine had about 40 million users and was incredibly successful; so successful, some made thousands to even millions of dollars. However after shutting down Vine has seemingly been forgotten. Or has it? However, recently, Vine has made a comeback.

Created on June 2012, Vine was a video-sharing app in which users would share 6-second videos. Vine’s parent company Twitter, the online social network, would ultimately discontinue it in January 2017. However, in the 5 years after it was created, Vine was pretty successful, and Vine creators, or ‘Viners,’ got on their ‘highway to fame’. Within the app, there were several categories users could put their short video clips under. Some of these categories included comedy, art, trending, and others. Much like the social media app Instagram, Vine was a very popular means of exploring the web/social media, as well as an opportunity for people searching to become known in the entertainment industry. In other words, Vine was another way to get your name out there. Vine would become a platform for future social media stars and influencers.

There were a select few Viners that were raking in millions of views on their 6-second clips. In the short time, Vine was trending, these Viners were at the top of the food chain. So exactly how successful were the top Viners? As stated in mic.com, “If Vine would pay all 18 of [the top Viners] $1.2 million each, roll out several product changes and open up a more direct line of communication, everyone in the room would agree to produce 12 pieces of monthly original content for the app, or three vines per week.” The top 18 Viners were demanding compensation for their vines. So, when Vine offered them about 1 million each to create 3 vines per week, for a year, of course, they accepted. You may be thinking, ‘Vine sounds like it was doing pretty well. Why did it get discontinued?’ Well, the deal didn’t go through. Therefore, most of the top Viners promptly quit and took the life of Vine with them. Without its’ top creators, Vine became less and less prominent and Twitter shut it down.

Many of the former top Viners would become YouTubers and/or social media influencers after the discontinuation of Vine. Liza Koshy, King Bach, David Dobrik, Lele Pons, Logan Paul, and Jake Paul, are only a few of the Viners that would become successful YouTubers. Even some celebrities used Vine back in the day, before they became so famous, including Justin Bieber, Selena Gomez, Kylie Jenner, Shawn Mendes, and Taylor Swift.

After its top Viners quit, Vine had died. Or had it? Vine has been making a huge comeback. Many people now are bringing back iconic vines that were super popular a few years ago. Why and how did Vine become popular again? Even though Vine is dead, it’s slowly being brought back to life. It’s possible that Vine is more popular now than at the time it was actually an app. So, does this mean Vine is being brought back as an app? Nobody knows, but everybody sure hopes so.