Filed under Opinion, Showcase

Are The Bees Worth Saving?

A picture of a bee

A picture of a bee

Wikipedia

Wikipedia

A picture of a bee

Over the years people have heard about the danger that the bees are in, and how they are disappearing into thin air. No one knows where they have gone. Since the 1990s, the population of bumblebees has decreased by 90%. These species are essential, as the bees are key in pollinating agriculture. Last year, they were listed as an endangered species. Pollination is extremely important and is vital for the US population and its economy.

More than a quarter of the forty-seven different bumblebee species are in danger of going extinct. Scientists think that part of the problem is that as most of the crops are being grown with chemicals that harm these bees. A certain type of pesticides are endangering the bumble bees and the government is doing their best to try and address this dilemma. Environmentalists have been doing a lot to try and help. Another problem that could be assisting the destruction of colonies is the Colony Collapse Disorder. Now, the three main reasons that the bees are in danger are narrowed down to pesticides, parasites, and infections, as described in the article, Science News For Students. Many pesticides have been made to defend the colony, but instead have harmed part of the bee’s brains, just enough to confuse them.

Still a debatable matter, the bees disappearing have not been fully addressed. Of course, there are people that claim the bees, in fact, cannot be counted, and actually, there are too many of them. Everyone has their own opinion, and mine is that they are very important. Without knowing, the bees are doing us an extreme favor by pollinating and aiding in the flourishing plants. The bees and pollination are what keep certain plants alive and well. Bumblebees are doing us a huge favor without even knowing that they are the main source of pollination. So, now that the bees are disappearing, it is time to analyze ourselves and what we are doing. The pesticides that were are using should definitely be addressed, and again, it is our fault for the disturbance in nature. To me, the bees are extremely important to the entire ecosystem of not only the U.S. but the entire world.  

A lot of things come to play as a result of the bees dilemma. Humans are not necessarily the only thing that is to blame, but we play a big part in. If we do something the bees are sure to recover quickly. In conclusion, of course, the bees are worth saving. Not only do they pollinate, but they are an essential part of the economy and ecosystem. Without the bees, how else are we supposed to enjoy the sweet honey they work so hard to make