Filed under Food & Travel

Spring Travel Destinations

Beautiful views of Yosemite, Honolulu and the Outer Banks.

Every year, millions of families take a vacation during spring. From towering sequoia trees, Pearl Harbor, giant granite rocks, and historic landmarks, here are some fantastic destinations that are worth a visit.  

Yosemite: Yosemite National Park was the first National Park in the United States. It is home to enormous waterfalls and towering sequoia trees. El Capitan is the 3000-foot tall piece of rock granite that goes straight up. On the eastern side of El Capitan is the 2,030-foot tall waterfall known as Horsetail Fall. It flows during the winter and spring months as two streams running parallel to each other. During the last 2 weeks of February, if the conditions are just right, Horsetail Fall is lit up by the setting sun, making the water look as if it is on fire. The Half Dome in Yosemite soars 4,737 feet above the floor of Yosemite Valley. Its shape represents a giant granite dome, that was cut in half, hence the name. Half Dome is viewable from several places throughout Yosemite, the most popular being Tunnel View and Glacier Point. The Panorama Trail and Cloud’s Rest are both a full-day hike that offers a view from the top of Half Dome.

Honolulu: Honolulu is the capital of the state of Hawaii located on the island of Oahu. Pearl Harbor is one of the largest tourist attractions in Honolulu. It is home to the USS Arizona Memorial, dedicated to the 1,177 men who died during the tragic attack. Although tours to the memorial are free, it is best to reserve a ticket or arrive very early to ensure a spot. Docked near the USS Arizona Memorial is the USS Missouri. World War Two officially ended on Missouri’s decks. Every day there are two tours that are offered. Pearl Harbor also includes the USS Bowfin Submarine Museum and Park and the Pacific Aviation Museum Pearl Harbor.  Waikiki is an iconic Hawaiian beach. The main attraction of Waikiki is the “C” shaped sand stripe along the oceanfront. The Honolulu Zoo is 400-acre attraction representing the African Savannah, Tropical Rainforest, and Island Ecosystems. Other than zoo favorites such as tigers and elephants, there are several animals native to Hawaii on exhibit.

Outer Banks: The Outer Banks are barrier islands off the coast of North Carolina. Here, the Wright brothers made their first flight, the infamous pirate Blackbeard fought his last battle, and the Lost Colony got lost. There are over 3,000 ancient shipwrecks to explore by scuba diving, beaches, mini golf courses, and the North Carolina Aquarium. The aquarium is home to giant turtles and sharks in a 285,000-gallon tank. Unlike other travel destinations, the beaches at Outer Banks are free of big crowds of tourists. The beach stretches for more than 100 miles along the coast. Lifeguards are almost always on duty, and the lighthouse at Cape Hatteras is the tallest in the United States. The Outer Banks is also known as the Graveyard of the Atlantic due to all the ships that have sunk here.

Spring is the perfect time for a well-deserved vacation. There are several fascinating destinations to visit during the spring.  From Sequoia trees to Pearl Harbor, to the Outer Banks, these are some of the best spring travel destinations in America.