Reverse Microwave

A microwave with similar physical features as a reverse microwave.

via Pixabay

via Pixabay

Though authentic “reverse microwaves” do not yet exist, some inventors have created some devices that can act in the place of them in many ways. Before the fridge and freezer were invented, many people have been longing to freeze their drinks. Unfortunately, the main reason why the reverse microwave currently does not exist is because the function of a normal microwave, which is speeding up the molecules in the device itself, is not reversible. Basically, it is more complicated to slow molecules down than it is to speed them up.

According to scientists, a user would need to use the right materials. The real issue in this case is that the most ideal phase of matter in this case is gas. Gases are the only substances that can be quickly expanded or cooled down because the molecules are moving freely. This means that the liquids and solids will take longer to do so, as the molecules are packed more tightly. As a result, according to a research, another medium (liquid or solid) is required to help remove and transfer the heat. For example, one would be able to use a metal container for cooling in a device like this.  Unfortunately for some people, because reverse microwaves do not exist, people still need to use freezers.

The function of a refrigerator and freezer work similarly in how the reverse microwave devices would work. If one has ever felt the side or the back of their ‘fridge, they would notice that it feels warm. The reason for this is because the warmer air molecules are moved away from the inside of the device. On an argument site, one author writes that, “coldness is the absence of heat”. In this case, coldness cannot be added, but as the writer mentions, one can create this by removing the existing heat. Another comment that was posted describes the frequencies used by a microwave as “driving frequencies” and explains that currently, there have been no discovered frequencies that give humans the ability to slow the intensity of the vibrations of a food’s molecules.

Hopefully, in the future, people will figure out how to invent a device that has the ability to slow molecules down as the reverse function as a microwave. For today though, people have to use freezers, as the concept is very complex.