The Syrian War: The Deadliest Years For Children

Destruction in a Syrian city

Destruction in a Syrian city

via Wikipedia

Destruction in a Syrian city

via Wikipedia

via Wikipedia

Destruction in a Syrian city

Ever since the year of 2011, war has been ruling the land of Syria. The UN Envoy (United Nations and Arab League Envoy to Syria) has estimated around 400,000 deaths, with more than one-fourth of the count going to children. Throughout the eight years of this gruesome civil war, children have faced deaths from torture, diverse war weapons, and even execution.

This conflict began in March 2011 when the security forces of Bashar al-Assad, the president of Syria, fired at and killed several pro-democratic protesters. This caused an uproar from citizens who demanded an end to Assad’s authoritarian leadership. Ever since then, there has been an ongoing conflict between the forces of the government and those who wish to get rid of the government.

Unlike most other wars, the Syrian war is leaving a large impact on civilians. Researchers have studied the recent history of the ongoing civil war and have found evidence supporting the idea that the weapons in Syria are purposely targeting civilians, which includes children. For the past seven years, countless bombs have killed thousands of civilians. In fact, civilians make up 97% of deaths caused by these deadly weapons. This continuing crisis in Syria has affected millions of children across the country. Not only has it been killing thousands of children, but it has left them stranded as refugees and in need of humanitarian aid. However, more than two thousand children do not have access to medical aid because of their location. Many are hard to reach and some are even located in areas that are under siege.

As the war rages on, children are also starting to lose their rights. They have lost opportunities in education and health. Some Syrian children are forced to become soldiers against their will, while others are pushed to a work field to help provide for the family.

In addition to physical effects, the ongoing war in Syria has proved to affect children mentally. According to a mental research project by Save the Children, there is evidence of stress and mental issues among the children in Syria. Researchers have interviewed nearly 400 children and mental health experts and have stated that if children do not receive the psychological support that they need, it will be nearly impossible to repair the damage when they reach adulthood.

Since the year 2011, a civil war has been raging within the boundaries of Syria. It is affecting everyone in Syria as well as citizens across the country, but it has been affecting young children the most. They have lost a child that they hope to get returned.

Erin K., Editor - Campus Life

Minkyung Kim, or Erin as she prefers to be called, is currently an 8th grader attending Kraemer Middle School. Although her favorite subject is P.E, she...