Florida Bridge Collapses

Florida bridge collapse

Florida bridge collapse

Florida bridge collapse

On Sunday, March 18th, a pedestrian bridge in Miami, connecting a neighborhood and Florida International University, suddenly collapsed. The result was devastating. Several people and cars were crushed under the massive amount of concrete. Rescuers had been working hard, day and night, trying to dig up any of the survivors and to identify anyone left under the rubble.

After days of digging through more than 950 pounds of rubble, authorities have been able to identify a total of six victims in the collapse. Many people are investigating why the bridge fell apart in the first place. The bridge was built using an accelerated process that cut costs; however, it made the bridge secure and caused cracks and rifts in it. The bridge was built because there had been a fatal crash in August, in which a vehicle hit a Florida International University student.

The National Transportation Safety Board is investigating the cause of the collapse. It was concluded that the bridge was built using an accelerated building program that ultimately made the bridge dangerous and unsafe. The bridge was meant to enhance safety after a number of accidents had happened on it. Oddly enough, however, just a few hours before the collapse, engineers and experts deemed it safe. Not to mention, in a meeting, workers were discussing the cracks and tried contacting a FIGG agent to fix and make repairs to the bridge but the call was left unanswered. FIGG, the company that made the bridge had said that just because there is a crack it does not mean its unsafe. The six people who died have been all identified, but what was most frightening was that people were trapped under the bridge for days crushed in cars. Of course, with this collapse there are the victims, the victims of the collapse included Brandon Brownfield, 39, next is Alexa Duran an eighteen year old, Florida International University student. Many others just like these people have been killed from the collapse of the bridge. Of those includes Navarro Brown, age 37, Rolando Hernandez, Alberto Arias, 53, and finally Oswald Gonzales, 57. The victims have been announced and the ten other injured people received medical attention already.

All in all, the pedestrian bridge in Miami collapsed because of an accelerated building process. This unfortunate event that took the life of six people and injured ten others, both surprised and shocked the nation.