Filed under Sports

Where LeBron Will Go in 2018

Where LeBron Will Go in 2018

Lebron James, better known as the best basketball player in the world, will likely move on from the Cavs; but where to?

After the 2018 season, LeBron James will be a free agent, letting him make his decision on where he will play for the 2018-2019. There are 30 teams in the NBA, but there are 3 major front-runners to land LeBron in 2018. Those three teams are the Cleveland Cavaliers, the Houston Rockets, and the Los Angeles Lakers.

The Cleveland Cavaliers – LeBron’s home state. The only way LeBron would stay in Cleveland is if he still feels like he still owes them something. He also might feel an emotional pull to the city. LeBron knows he can still beat Jordan, but he still knows that he is getting up there in age. The Cavs need to do something fast to bring in more players that fit to somewhat convince LeBron that Cleveland is the best place to win. A couple ways to do that include having one of the first picks in the draft, which Cleveland should use. When trading Kyrie Irving for Isaiah Thomas the Cavs also got the 2018 Nets’ pick (basically guaranteed to be a top 3 pick).

Many teams are currently in the rebuilding process and would love that Nets’ pick. These teams Include the Suns, Knicks, and the Pelicans. From the Nets the Cavs would benefit if they received D’Angelo Russell and another asset. If the Suns traded Josh Jackson, LeBron would appreciate it. Plus they could also add him with another young rookie like Dragan Bender. From the Knicks, the Cavs, if lucky, could pull off a trade in the offseason like getting Kristaps Porzingis. From the Pelicans comes the most interesting trades: Anthony Davis or Demarcus Cousins. Obviously, the Cavs would have to give up a little more for some of the bigger names, like Anthony Davis or Demarcus Cousins but they could be convincing players to keep LeBron in Cleveland.

The Houston Rockets – In most people’s opinion, this is the best place to go if LeBron wants to win Championships. LeBron has already stated that one day he would love the opportunity to play with Carmelo Anthony, Chris Paul, and Dwyane Wade. Chris Paul is already in Houston, and with Carmelo Anthony soon to be heading there it is a perfect situation for LeBron’s dream team. Wade is a free agent at the end of this year, letting Wade walk to whatever team he wants to. Lebron could go to Houston on a cheap minimum for a couple years to play with his friends and heavily contest for some Championships.

Lastly and most importantly getting Lebron there with those three and Harden already in Houston means a significant amount of guys that need the ball. There is really only one way to fix that, trade Harden for a tall player (likely a center or power forward). The Pelicans are the first team to come to mind. They are loaded with tall players like the rockets would need in this situation and would love to add Harden to their team, for Demarcus Cousins or even Anthony Davis. The Houston Rockets Roster in 2018 can be Chris Paul at the 1, Dwyane Wade at the 2, Lebron at the 3, Carmelo Anthony at the 4, and Anthony Davis or Demarcus Cousins at the 5. Which is pretty unstoppable!

The LA Lakers – The major reason why LeBron would go to LA is for nothing else but the money. If LeBron is truly in for the money rather than chasing Jordan (which doesn’t seem likely) than LA is the best place for him. The LA market is one of the biggest ones out there and LeBron would be getting big bucks if he left to LA. There are many ways for him to do so, and not just through his play. LeBron has already been in a couple films and knows he would be perfectly setup after retirement in the NBA by getting some roles in Hollywood.

Another legitimate argument to join the Lakers is because LeBron may want ownership of the Lakers. The Current President of Basketball Operations of the Los Angeles Lakers, Magic Johnson, earned a 4% stake in the team after he decided to hang them up. If LeBron wants to one day buy and own his own team, getting a stake in the Lakers can help him do so. LeBron would also want to go West to the Lakers because he knows everyone only cares about finals record. Everyone knows LeBron walks through the weaker East and faces a tough challenge in the finals. Why not play hard in the Western Conference finals and walk through the playoffs? When arguing who is the GOAT, all Michael Jordan supporters bring up his finals record, which seems legit to many. Finally, LeBron knows that LA is a huge attraction to NBA stars and everyone wants to play there. This would give LeBron a strong young core to go with amazing veterans.

This upcoming NBA free agency might even be bigger than the one that just happened, and that is amazing to think about! With LeBron being the biggest free agent that year, it will be interesting to see what his Decision (Part 2) will be.

Tushaar M., Co-Editor - Sports

Tushaar M. is a 8th grader who currently attends Kraemer Middle School. Before attending Kraemer, he attended Wagner Elementary School and Golden Elementary...