Filed under Campus Life

AVID Field Trip

AVID Field Trip

AVID Field Trip to Cal State Dominguez Hills

Mrs. Fierro

Mrs. Fierro

Mrs. Fierro

By definition, the word avid means having or showing a keen interest in or enthusiasm for something, but at school, AVID stands for Advancement Via Individual Determination. This program helps advance students to become fully prepared for college and encourages those with the potential to take an extra step into an academic society.

To help these students see what it feels like to be a part of a college, Kraemer’s AVID team decided to offer students the opportunity to spend a day at a college campus.

Recently, Kraemer’s AVID went on an educational field trip to CSU Dominguez Hills. The purpose of this field trip was so the AVID students could get a taste of how colleges function and what it takes to be successful in college. During the field trip, the students looked around the campus and took part in two tours. Each tour was 55 minutes long. The tour guides, who were students that attend CSU Dominguez, lead the AVID students around the campus. They showed Kraemer students where everything was located and what all of the programs and extracurricular activities in which they can participate.

Kraemer kids were shown the lives of a college student and were shown all of the classes they could take in the future. Although they weren’t able to go inside the classrooms, the tour guides explained to them that each class was equipped with SMART technologies and a positive environment to encourage all students who step their foot in the classroom.  Later, they were able to eat lunch and take in the sights of the campus. Afterward, they toured the dorm rooms. The students got to see where the college students lived while attending college and got to learn about the history and foundation of the college during the tour.

Kraemer’s AVID students have said that the field trip to CSU Dominguez Hills helped them realize that going to college was possible and may be fun. Some parts they liked about the field trip were the tours of the whole school. The tours helped them visualize the endless possibilities of the classes they can partake in.

This field trip really helped AVID students see what goes on at college. They learned about the hard work and determination that goes into success. CSU Dominguez Hills was a perfect example to show what a normal college looks like, feels like, and seems like. One of the main reasons they decided to go there was so students can set their goal to going to a college like CSU Dominguez Hills or any college at all. They got to see what their potential goal college can be.

Jasmine H., Reporter

Jasmine H. is a 7th grader attending Kraemer Middle School. She decided to join Newspaper because she loves to write, express her opinions, and would love...