Filed under Features

Romanian Man Legally Qualified As Dead

XD literally dying

via Flickr

XD literally dying

Constantin Reliu returned home to find that he was now legally qualified as dead. He had been working for 20 years as a cook in Turkey, but finally returned home to find that his wife had registered him as dead. Shocked, he went to the authorities to prove that he was alive, but they refused, claiming they could not overturn the death certificate since the complaint was filed too late. Since he is considered officially dead, he is not allowed to marry or divorce, get a job, or travel out of the country. He was later deported, where officials tried to match him up with photos of him from previous years. After doing some tests of his fingerprints as well, they concluded that he was indeed alive. Unfortunately, when the data was sent to a higher level of government, they still refused to overturn the documents.

Reliu is now stuck in one of the worst legal situations possible. His situation limits his options on what he can do. He cannot be in possession of a passport, so he cannot leave the country. He is not allowed to sign any documents and is not allowed to own any property. He has no means of contacting his former wife, and he suspects that she only filed the report that he was dead so the marriage would become void and she could marry someone else. In court, she claimed that she received no contact from Reliu, and believed he had died in an earthquake.

Along with all these other unfortunate circumstances, the Turkey government ruled their decision as final, and will not hear the case any longer. Reliu has been banned from contacting Turkey ever again. The Turkish Government claims that the document cannot be overturned because the complaint was filed after the document was registered, and doing so would cause many legal problems. Reliu is now seeking to file a lawsuit against his former wife, who was responsible for getting him in this situation. Unfortunately, his lack of ability to generate income, and the fact that he has diabetes, prevents him from doing so.

Overall, Reliu is trapped in one of the worst possible situations imaginable. He is now a walking ghost. Everything about his situation prevents him from getting out of it. He blames both the Turkish government and his former wife, who he now believes is married to someone else. His last hope is finding a way to contact his former wife, who may be able to fix the situation since she was the one who got him into it.

Colin M., Co-Editor in Chief

Colin M. is an 8th-grader at Kraemer Middle School. He has an older brother and sister as well as a dog named Chloe who he loves very much. His brother...