Filed under Features

Top 5 Largest Living Animals

l o n g b o y e

l o n g b o y e

via Wikipedia

via Wikipedia

l o n g b o y e

There are many different animals all around the world that are unique in their own way. From the smallest bugs to the giants that live in the wild, the animal kingdom is full of surprises. Out of all the animals in the world, these five are the largest on Earth to still be alive to this date. One of these animals lives underwater while the other four are omnivores and herbivores that live on land.

Polar Bear

The polar bear has a shoulder height of 5.2 feet and a maximum length of 10 feet. The heaviest polar bear to be recorded is 2,210 pounds (1003 kg.). Males are 8-9 feet from head to tail while females are 6-7 feet from head to tail. These creatures have a lifespan of 20-25 years and have a diet of walrus and beluga whale. These creatures’ diet shows that they are large and powerful enough to take on predators that are bigger than them including whales and walruses. There is an estimation of 20,000 – 25,000 polar bears still alive.

Elephant Seal

The southern elephant seal is the largest carnivorous mammal to still be alive. Female elephant seals average 880 – 2000 lbs. (400-900 kilogram) while males average 2,200 – 4,000 lbs. (4,900 – 8,800 kilograms). Male elephant seals usually weigh around 5 -6 times more than females. The largest elephant seal ever to be recorded was 22.5 feet and estimated a total of 11,000 lbs. This animal was recorded in Possession Bay in 1913. Southern Elephant seals hunt squid and fish going to a depth of 3,300 feet. Elephants seals usually hunt for 20 minutes straight before bringing their prey onto land. They have a lifespan of 22 years and can hunt for food as long as 2 hours.

Giraffe

Being the tallest animal to still be alive, the giraffe ranks third for the largest animal in the world. The giraffe averages a height of 16 – 20 feet an average weight of 3,500 lb for males and 1,800 lb for females. A giraffe’s neck can be up to 6 feet and 7 in. long and has a lifespan of about 25 years. A giraffe’s heart is 2 feet long and weighs 25 pounds. A giraffe needs a big heart to pump blood all the way up their neck into their brain. Giraffes have a huge appetite and drink 10 gallons of water a day.

African Bush Elephant

The African bush elephant is the largest living mammal on land and weighs up to 13,000 pounds.

The male elephants can reach a length of 25 feet or 7.5 meters while female elephants can reach a length of 22.6 ft. or 6.9 meters. Male elephants usually have no predators due to their immense size but calves can be at risk from lions, crocodiles, and hyena attacks. Elephants eat a variety of foods including grass, wheat, bark, and fruit.

Blue Whale

The blue whale is the largest mammal in the world on land and sea. It can have a length of 98 feet or 30 meters and weighs up to +200 tons. The blue whale’s tongue weighs 5,952 pounds which are the same weight of an Asian elephant. Its heart 1,300 pounds and is the similar size of a Mini Cooper.  Blue whales feed on small creatures called krill and eat 7,900 pounds of it every day. This means the blue whale eats around 40 million krill each day.

There are many divine creatures all around the world that have interesting adaptations and features. Animals never stop to amaze us including these five largest animals ever to live.