Filed under Food & Travel, Showcase

Foods that Support the Brain

Maintaining+your+brain+is+very+important%21+
Maintaining your brain is very important!

via Flickr

via Flickr

Eating right is an essential part of maintaining a healthy body and lifestyle. The brain, the powerhouse of everything, is especially important to maintain, and can easily be supplemented with nutrients through a multitude of healthy but delicious foods. From fish to different fruits, there are many different foods to choose from that support brain function and cognitive ability.

– Fatty fish

The brain, as many people don’t know, is largely made up of fats. Comprised of almost 60% fat, the brain requires fatty acids like omega-3 fatty acid to function best. Fish like salmon, trout and sardines are some of the best sources for omega-3 fatty acids, which support brain and nerve cells, along with learning and memory. Studies have also suggested that the consumption of these types of fish delay age-related mental decline and Alzheimer’s disease.

– Avocados

Nutritious and delicious, avocados boost brain function while still delivering a delicious taste that can be paired with multiple other foods. Avocados deliver a multitude of nutrients that support brain function, including vitamin K and folate, which help to prevent blood clots in the brain and improve memory and concentration. In addition, avocados provide vitamin B and C, crucial vitamins that have to be acquired daily. Avocados also contain the highest amount of protein and lowest amount of sugar than any fruit.

– Dark chocolate

Dark chocolate contains an important attribute that aids brain function, namely flavonoids. A type of antioxidant found in plants, flavonoids help with learning and memory. A multitude of different studies prove this, and results from over 900 people showed that those who consumed chocolate regularly were better at activities involving memory than those who seldom ate chocolate. However, not all chocolate contains these great mental boosts; minimally processed dark chocolate containing at least 70% cacao is the best for aiding with mental function.

– Coffee

Coffee is something that many people around the country wake up to. The caffeine in coffee is linked to a multitude of benefits to brain function, including increased alertness, better mood, and sharper concentration. Caffeine, which blocks adenosine and prevents sleepiness, is also linked to a higher mood as it can boost serotonin, which is one of the happiness receptors. It is much easier to focus with heightened alertness and a good mood. Recent studies have also uncovered that coffee can reduce the risk of diseases like Parkinson’s and Alzheimer’s.

– Blueberries

Blueberries are another example of a nutritious and delicious fruit, and they add a pop of color and natural sweetness as well.  Blueberries, like most fruits, can give off antioxidant effects. Specifically, blueberries give off anthocyanins, a plant compound, which has anti-inflammatory effects. These anti-inflammatory effects can protect against neurological disease. Research also suggests that the antioxidants found in blueberries also accumulate in the brain and help improve communication between brain cells, as well as improve memory. Additionally, blueberries can easily be added to a plethora of different breakfast items such as cereal, oatmeal, waffles, and more.